Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hot Rodding The Browning Gold

dirtypool40

Guys, shooting Limited about five years, finally getting the really serious checkbook disease of 3-gun. The Browning seems a hot lick for Limited class. I have questions about setting them up and was hoping for input from other 3-gunners.

#1 Priority, after reliability of course, is shortening the standard 24" barreled turkey stalker I have to be in the range of the 20" guns. I know Briley does some conversions and cuts on the stock. Anyone with any experience??

2. Does anyone besides Briley make an 8 round tube? Why is Briley´s soooo long?

3. If I am going to have the barrel cut to around 21" and rechoked is there any reason I don´t want thumb screw style chokes instead of the ones requiring a wrench?

4. Any other tips or techniques particular to the Browning would be greatly appreciated. I am leaning heavily towards reloading off my weak side wrist & forearm like Jeff Cramblit pioneered years ago. Any better ideas? Is anyone using two different reloads for say two rounds vs. a complete 8 round load up?

5. Thanks and see you at the Nats...

dirty.... (2)there is a listing in the current Brownell's catalog for magazine extension for the Browning and Benelli... don't have a copy in front of me though, a friend contacted the maker direct and had a custom lenght cut for his M1 Super90 field...

I have a brand new Briley mag tube for a Gold laying around here somewhere...still in the wrapper. $40?

One of the guys in my club runs a Gold (with the same model mag tube) on it in Open, once he put the extra strength recoil spring in the darn thing the bolt closes all the way every time (sigh) and he seems a lot happier. The autoload feature is quite spiffy if you should happen to run the gun dry :)

Alex

Another option-

Buy the Win SX2 Practical magazine tube/cover from the Win parts store and have it installed. It's the exact dimensions as the Gold(they use the same gas piston). Another tidbit of info-add a Gold 3 1/2" magnum action spring and a reduced power latch spring(Briley). They make all the difference in the world towards reliability. And of course, smoothing out the camming action of the bolt/carrier interface really helps too.