Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BAD Training Idea

JKSNIPER

On Police one .com the trainer, Paul Castle, who conducted this training is now trying to defend it as a necessary next step in a snipers training and necessary to "make a shot" under those conditions.

I could care less except hes going to get some cop hurt/killed one day by doing this training.

Unbelievable what some guys will promote to make some cash.....and just as unbelievable are guys that will DO this and then say how necessary it is.

I hope he has a LOT of insurance.

JK

To some degree this is probably a topic that really has no relevance to many shooters here as there are several aspects that most folks do not have the background to understand. Of course most USPSA shooters will think shooting past someone downrange is dangerous, however most range shooters think that drawing a loaded gun and running around shooting at targets and steel is dangerous as well. Go one step further and there are those hoplophobes who have an inate fear of any gun and its use. Each opinion will come from that person's frame of reference and experience.

Many of the things that are performed in a high risk tactical environment (SWAT, SRT, whatever your agency calls it) are inherently dangerous. They are made infinitely more dangerous when we introduce all of the unknown's that compromise the makeup of our suspects and the environments we operate in. We spend hours upon hours training techniques, tactics, and skillsets under controlled situations in hopes that when tested in the heat of the moment we can rely on our training to get us home that day.

To argue that we shouldn't train or perform a tactic/skill in a controlled range environment because it involves risk seems ironic when there is an expectation of that very same performance on an op under conditions that are uncontrolled.

Edited by smokshwn

A reason I can think of doing something similar to this is to teach personnel how to define the general direction and range of a sniper based on the sounds of their shot. I would not think this is very useful in 99.99% of LE scenarios. In the military, it would have a purpose, but there are tons of better ways to deal with this than have everyone standing by the target....

A reason I can think of doing something similar to this is to teach personnel how to define the general direction and range of a sniper based on the sounds of their shot. I would not think this is very useful in 99.99% of LE scenarios. In the military, it would have a purpose, but there are tons of better ways to deal with this than have everyone standing by the target....

Military style ranges with a "pit" area are the way to teach this concept.

Safe for all involved and the trainees get to hear the sounds of bullets passing overhead without having to worry about eating one.

Unk why this became such a hot topic but the guy promoting this is insinuating that the people objecting to it are doing so for political reasons.

I live no where near VA and have absolutely NO care as to who is or is not the Sheriff there.

I object to it on the basis that it is patently unsafe and breaks I don't know how may basic firearms /range safety rules and it is an accident waiting to happen.

It will one day kill/seriously injure one officer and probably ruin the career of another not to mention the ton of lawsuits one such bad incident will generate.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that there are guys that WANT to do this.

JK

Seems to me there are other ways to accomplish the task of the teacher. If you want to put pressure on the sniper, park his car down range and attach the target to his car giving him a small target window. If he misses the target he hits "HIS" car. That should simulate the stress, withought the danger to the innocent officer who was down range during the original training.

Randy

Yeah, it would really suck if a bird flew by at the wrong time or a bug crawled up on the muzzle of the rifle or the shooter had that one-in-a-hundred-thousand badly made bullet or damp primer or whatever.

• 3 weeks later...
Holy crap, what were those guys thinking? The negatives (like a dead officer) far outweigh any positives that could be gleaned from training like this.

"This is piss poor training methods in my opinion"

I feel unsafe behind the line sometimes! :surprise: