Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Self Doubt

Overhung

Just wanted to share

I bought a new (used) P16 to start my forray into Limited from Limited 10. I will be at Area 6 next week with it. Took it out last week to better accommodate ourselves. I shoot well with the gun, and in the one steel match I shot, outside of bunch of squibbs, I did well.

I am still playing with the loads, but settled on something that I know works with the gun (recommended by the previous owner). I started shooting groups with it and I was ALL over the place. Nothing worked. Some clicks up, some down, left, right, no matter. I packed up the gun and went home after doing some draw two reload two on some plates at 10 yards- wanted to end on something positive and was doing ok here. I could not get the failure of not shooting groups from 15 - 25 yards out of my head. I was very depressed and frustrated. I am a decently accurate shooter, so this was hitting my cockles too hard. Self Doubt. Why do I spend all of this money? Why can't I just get better? blah blah blah.

I decided to put the gun down for a couple of days. And would resight once I wasn't so bothered.

That night I woke up at two am (normally do anyway) got the gun out of the safe and wiggled the exceptionally loose front sight left to right almost the full length of the dovetail. I went to bed satisfied. I knew it wasn't me. I was just disappointed that I did not have more faith in myself. And did not scream "WHY ME GOD?!?!" from the mountain top so readily.

I have a couple of dabs of epoxy to hold the sight in place for the weekend match, and plans to get it repaired / replaced there after. And I am shooting groups much better, allowing me to comfort in my strengths and focus a bit more on my weaknesses.

Sure. I did shoot with it before I bought it and found it to be accurate. It was modified to include a Schumann Barrel. Post some tomorrow.

After you shoot some groups with the repaired P16, could you post the results. I ask because a friend never could get his P16 to group well, just curious.

Sure. I did shoot with it before I bought it and found it to be accurate. It was modified to include a Schumann Barrel. Post some tomorrow.
After you shoot some groups with the repaired P16, could you post the results. I ask because a friend never could get his P16 to group well, just curious.

The temporary conscious was overtaken by the subconscious.... banishing the self doubt.

If you do your bit and the gun does not... you have suceeded and the gun has failed.

Prepare the gun to succeed and you will both be on the path to sucess.

I had the same problem when I went to a semi-local match about 2 hours away for the first time, went down there as a B shooter and got beat by D and U shooters. It was freaking horrible, I was shooting one stage with steel and ran out of ammo trying to hit the steel. I was ashamed and couldn't even sleep that night. I was so upset with myself and kept wondering what I did to cause my accuracy to go to hell like that.

Well went to the range next day and couldn't hit a headshot at 10 yards and finally gave it to my friend to try and he's like um your front site is LOOSE, well I grabbed the gun and the FRONT & REAR site was loose. Lesson learned, when applying loctite to a loose rear and screw in front, MAKE SURE TO SHAKE UP LOCTITE. I felt so good after that, knowing it wasn't me.