Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hey everyone, I need to ask a favor, here is the situation:

I have an old friend living in California who suddenly just became a widow about 30 days ago. Her husband had firearms, registered to him.

Is there anyone here living near Oakland, CA that has an FFL that can do the transfer paperwork to her at reasonable cost? She was quoted $75 per firearm, and there are over 20. This is just too much money for her. Please PM me if you can help on this.

Second, what is the law when your significant other becomes deceased? Do you have to do the normal sale paperwork with the BATF? Is the law in CA different?

Thank you all in advance for your help on this.

Bret

ugh. My condolences. That $75 fee for each firearm is way out of line.

I'm no firearms lawyer but I do try to keep up to date with kali gun laws.

She needs to apply for a Hand Gun Safety card (simple test to verify you're competent with handguns and the safety rules) at a local dealer.

Once thats done, she needs to fill out one of these forms below and send info on each HANDGUN she came into her possesion.

The form should have more info. If she has any questions, she can call the CA AG office up and find out what else is required.

IIRC long guns don't need to be declared.

Assault weapons (i.e. AR, AK, etc, etc) are a whole nother issue. If its on the Kali AW list she needs to sell it out of state.

Intra Familial Transfer Form

On the same topic, it only costs $19 to register all the guns. Just make sure she has all HANDGUN info on extra copies attached with the original form.

yoshidaex is correct:

Firearms obtained through intestate succession or by bequest, sales or transfers between “immediate family” members. Immediate family means parent and child, and grandparent and grandchild. (NOTE: Individuals who receive a concealable firearm in this manner must obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate. The acquisition of a handgun in this manner must be reported within 30 days to the Department of Justice on forms provided by the Department of Justice.) (Penal Code §§12078(i)(1)(B), 12078©(2)(A).)

Fill out the form( http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) and send it in to the DOJ

However, the fee is $19 / gun, not for all guns, so it would still add up to 20x$19, assuming they're all handguns.

For rifles, no papers or transfers are required (assuming they're not considered Assault Weapons)

Edited by gose

Thanks!

There was one SKS mentioned, she doesn't really know what is there as she isn't a shooter. So those must be sold out of state from what I understand ? That is really terrible.

Depends on the type of SKS. If it has a fixed mag, it _should_ be ok. If it does have a detachable magazine, it is considered an AW by the great state of California and has to be disposed of, or sold out of state. However, DO NOT attempt to ship, or transport, it out of state without the help of an FFL with an AW permit (which are few and far between), since this would be a felony.

Edited by gose