Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA Loaded 1911 Safety Slices my Thumb

dubious

I've got a stock SA Loaded 1911 with some very sharp edges. When I'm riding the safety with my strong hand thumb, the back edge of the safety is painful. When I fire, the it bites and makes me flinch. Also of less importance, the edges on the trigger are on the sharp side (painful after 50 shots), and the slide serrations are rather razorish.

Would some grip tape work? Can I file or sand down the edges? Any advice on that? Any other ideas, short of buying a new safety?

This is my first post, BTW... very nice discussions here!

Edited by dubious

I've got a stock SA Loaded 1911 with some very sharp edges. When I'm riding the safety with my strong hand thumb, the back edge of the safety is painful. When I fire, the it bites and makes me flinch. Also of less importance, the edges on the trigger are on the sharp side (painful after 50 shots), and the slide serrations are rather razorish.

Would some grip tape work? Can I file or sand down the edges? Any advice on that? Any other ideas, short of buying a new safety?

I noticed that when I handled one in the store. Went with a Les Baer instead :) I would sand down the edges.

For the do it yourselfer, a little emory cloth, or a fine file, will work just fine to take the edges off. If you are a perfectionist, you can alway have someone bead blast the safety later (if Stainless) to remove evidence of your handiwork.

I use a round white stone dremel bit. It cuts very slowly, and when you're done leaves the steel with a sort of frosted polished appearance that is not at all unattractive (assuming you're applying it to stainless steel, natch). In any event I like the fact that you can take your time and get things right with this setup. The sandpaper drill bits, and the rough round blue bits, in my experience, cut way too fast, and leave way too many scratches in the steel when you're done.

For the do it yourselfer, a little emory cloth, or a fine file, will work just fine to take the edges off. If you are a perfectionist, you can alway have someone bead blast the safety later (if Stainless) to remove evidence of your handiwork.

+1

• 2 weeks later...

I've cut my strong hand thumb and weak hand thumb on my Springfield loaded 9mm! Because I'm left handed, the ambi safety is a little thinner on the right side but just as sharp. Therefore, my thumb rests over the edge. In last Saturday's match I cut the base of my weak hand thumb by simply getting it pinched between my strong hand thumb and safety. Usually, a grip mistake like that just means bad shooting and not a bleeding thumb to boot!