Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

are jacketed bullets more accurate than lead bullets?

josh smith

I been shooting IPSC for about 5 months now. I shoot lead bullets. lots of shooters keep teeling me to shoot jacketed bullets to be more accurate but I don't see there point. I don't understand why jacketed bullets are more accurate than lead bullets. Aerodynamics? Is it the shape of the bullets? What about if they shape the same? Is it the viscosity difference of air between the two kinds of bullets? Can somebody explain to me accuracy difference between lead and jacketet bullets please.

thanks in advance.

JOSH

The other shooters are not correct that lead is automatically less accurate.

A good lead bullet is more than accurate enough for this game. Individual guns will have bullet preferences. Some guns will shoot better with lead.

Poor quality bullets will frustrate you, and there are poor jacketed as well as lead.

The only way to know, would be to shoot groups with different bullet types. Sounds like you have tested your load, and like it. No reason for you to need to change.

One of the biggest problems facing the bullet maker is where to get jackets. There are some jackets available in a limited range of calibers. For the most part the jackets that are available are much too thin to make good hunting bullets. Copper tubing can be used to make excellent hunting and some target bullets.

The other shooters are not correct that lead is automatically less accurate.

A good lead bullet is more than accurate enough for this game. Individual guns will have bullet preferences. Some guns will shoot better with lead.

Poor quality bullets will frustrate you, and there are poor jacketed as well as lead.

The only way to know, would be to shoot groups with different bullet types. Sounds like you have tested your load, and like it. No reason for you to need to change.

+1

In my experience, the accuracy difference will be less than the width of the bullet at 25 yards... which is cutting it awful thin if that's how you're explaining why your C is really an A! :roflol: I prefer to shoot lead and invest the money I've saved in more bullets.

I been shooting IPSC for about 5 months now. I shoot lead bullets. lots of shooters keep teeling me to shoot jacketed bullets to be more accurate but I don't see there point. I don't understand why jacketed bullets are more accurate than lead bullets. Aerodynamics? Is it the shape of the bullets? What about if they shape the same? Is it the viscosity difference of air between the two kinds of bullets? Can somebody explain to me accuracy difference between lead and jacketet bullets please.

thanks in advance.

JOSH

To answer your original question, it probably comes down to the fact that the jacketed bullets are coming off a high-tech assembly line, and the lead bullets are probably coming out of some guy's garage. (No offense to all you casters out there in your garages, I love you guys!) The most accurate loads I've shot have been with jacketed hollowpoints. The explanation I've received as to why this is true: The lead is poured into a jacket with the enclosed part of the jacket down, cooled, and then the hollowpoint is stamped into the top. Because the rear is the enclosed jacket, the base is always uniform (this is essential for accuracy), and the stamping process uniforms the "nose" so that all the bullets are as identical as you could reasonably expect.

Again, IMHO, I'd not lose any sleep over a few tenths of an inch more accuracy for the price difference between lead vs. jackets.