Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Empty Case hitting the die in station 1?

When loading on my Dillon 650 about 1 out of every 15 times I cycle the machine the empty case jams on the the bottom of the die on station 1 (decapping/depriming die)

I have to lower the handle and manually push the case further into the shellplate to get it to go up into the die. I have checked everytime and the cases are not damaged either before or after it jams.

The mouth of the case is clearly striking the bottom of the die.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I think tightening the shellplate has helped, I just made 100rds without the problem. Thanks!

Edited by Opie

Are you loading .38SC? Maybe the case feed bar is not pushing the case all the way into the shell plate. Mine does that too if the primer seating stroke is not consistent every time, and at about the same rate yours is.

If you're using an EGW undersize die, switching back to a dillon (or other brand) will help. The other thing I would check is to make sure the brass locator pins are correct for the caliber.

If you're using an EGW undersize die, switching back to a dillon (or other brand) will help. The other thing I would check is to make sure the brass locator pins are correct for the caliber.

There is no brass locator pin in station 1, the brass is fed into the shell plate by the case feed assembly push bar.

There is no brass locator pin in station 1, the brass is fed into the shell plate by the case feed assembly push bar.

Ack! My 650 has been sitting in the closet for about 4 yrs. Forgot about that.

I don't know the vintage of your 650 but when mine was about four years old I started having the same problem. I changed the Case Insert Slide Spring and in conjunction with the suggestion to make sure you complete the priming stroke cured the proble. The spring I removed had taken a set so it was about 1/2" shorter than the new spring.