Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro front sight pusher?

G-ManBart

We tried the MGW sight pusher on an M&P front and broke the sight in half, that one required some motivation with a Snap-On 16 oz. Dead Blow. I called MGW about the tool not fitting the 5" and they said they knew about it but weren't sure if they were going to make a tool for the 5", we'll see.

We have most of the Dawson front sights here but haven't had time to add them to the online catalog, the sights we don't have are on backorder right now. As far as our custom front sight being a Dawson, it's not. The custom front sights we offer are machined from bar stock on order to the dimensions specified by the customer.

Ken, sorry for the mistake on your custom front sight...from the pics it looked like a Dawson and I assumed it was....well, you know how that happens :blush:

When you say the MGW doesn't fit the 5" did you mean for the front or rear sight? R,

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tried the MGW sight pusher on an M&P front and broke the sight in half, that one required some motivation with a Snap-On 16 oz. Dead Blow. I called MGW about the tool not fitting the 5" and they said they knew about it but weren't sure if they were going to make a tool for the 5", we'll see.

We have most of the Dawson front sights here but haven't had time to add them to the online catalog, the sights we don't have are on backorder right now. As far as our custom front sight being a Dawson, it's not. The custom front sights we offer are machined from bar stock on order to the dimensions specified by the customer.

Ken, sorry for the mistake on your custom front sight...from the pics it looked like a Dawson and I assumed it was....well, you know how that happens :blush:

When you say the MGW doesn't fit the 5" did you mean for the front or rear sight? R,

I'm not Ken, but I'm the one who posted it didn't work on five inch gun front sights. I have one, and as I mentioned in my post, it works great for the 5" rear sight.

I'm not Ken, but I'm the one who posted it didn't work on five inch gun front sights. I have one, and as I mentioned in my post, it works great for the 5" rear sight.

Gotcha...thanks! My MGW showed up but I'd already cut out and installed the new Dawson FO so I didn't get to try it. I'm not planning on changing front sights with any frequency, so it's not a big deal....and as long as it works on the rear I'm set. I have a couple of friends with M&P's and I'm sure it'll be handy to have around.

A case of AAA 147gr JHP ammo showed up today so I'll get to see how the combo works tomorrow :cheers:

No problem but you had me going there for a minute, I had to go look and make sure we didn't have the wrong picture up but that's our sight. Thanks to ysued for the fine photo. As mentioned the MGW tool will work on the 5" rear but not the front.

Please let us know how the 147s work for you. Right now I'm thinking a 160 front sight is what I should get if I run 125s.

I got to shoot 150 of the AAA 147s yesterday at the local indoor range. They are really soft shooting and going back and forth between that and my issue G22 with duty ammo was almost funny!

The lighting kept me from being 100% positive at 25yds, but the point of impact closer in was right on the money. At 10yds it's exactly point of aim, point of impact and I shot a ten-shot group that was the size or a golf ball when I was done. I shot some groups at 25yds, but I was getting some vertical stringing that wasn't the gun. I was shooting on a normal metric target and didn't have any black pasters or a marker to make a good aiming point. So holding on the upper A-zone I'd get one an inch high, one centered and one an inch low...that sort of thing. I'm going to try and get out this weekend and try it outdoors, but I'm pretty sure the combination is close enough for what we do...even if it's an inch low at 25yds, I'm not worried. It's a very sweet setup and I can see why so many folks are shooting M&Ps....now if work would only authorize them :)

Thanks for the update, please let us know how it does at 25 when you get some better lighting.

I shot it outdoors today, but I was an idiot and forgot bullseye targets as well as my black sharpie so I couldn't make a nice black circle or box to hold on. I did the next best thing and held on the line that separates the upper and lower boxes on a metric target. At 25yds the groups were pretty much centered right where I was holding. I had one group where three shots were touching and they were right on the line that splits the upper and lower zones....the other two shots were one an inch high and slightly right and the other an inch low and slightly left (I'm sure both were all me).

I stuck some bullseye targets in my truck so I can't forget them next time! While practicing I did take a couple of head shots at 25yds and each of them was nicely centered in the box. It's close enough that I'm not too concerned....not too many 25yd head shots required in matches! I'll update this when I get to give it a try with better aiming points, but I think it's pretty much on the money. R,

Okay, got a chance to shoot outdoors with a proper target. In the pic below I had the target upside down, so don't pay attention to the numbers. 25yds from a sorta rest (wrists on a rolled up towel). 5rds of Atlanta Arms 147gr JHP (Team Glock load) that measures about 1.25" center to center. I might give the rear sight a tiny bump if I keep getting groups slightly right like this, but it's pretty darned close. I was holding at the bottom of the black (where the red X is) so it's very, very close to point of aim, point of impact....not enough to try and go with a different height front sight.

Edit to add: with the .100" front sight I had to use a pretty small target and this clearly isn't a perfect setup for bullseye with the large gaps on either side of the front blade, but I really like it for normal USPSA style shooting. I'm sure a lot of the dispersion here was me due to all of the above....the lighting was okay, but not great (late afternoon with the sun pretty low).

IMG_0006.jpg

Edited by G-ManBart

Okay, got a chance to shoot outdoors with a proper target. In the pic below I had the target upside down, so don't pay attention to the numbers. 25yds from a sorta rest (wrists on a rolled up towel). 5rds of Atlanta Arms 147gr JHP (Team Glock load) that measures about 1.25" center to center. I might give the rear sight a tiny bump if I keep getting groups slightly right like this, but it's pretty darned close. I was holding at the bottom of the black (where the red X is) so it's very, very close to point of aim, point of impact....not enough to try and go with a different height front sight.

Edit to add: with the .100" front sight I had to use a pretty small target and this clearly isn't a perfect setup for bullseye with the large gaps on either side of the front blade, but I really like it for normal USPSA style shooting. I'm sure a lot of the dispersion here was me due to all of the above....the lighting was okay, but not great (late afternoon with the sun pretty low).

I'll be calling Atlanta Arms today. I've been shooting whatever I can find, mostly 115gr FMJs of various brands with only so so accuracy. Honestly, most of my accuracy issues come from me but I never like to be limited by my equipment.

Roy

I'll be calling Atlanta Arms today. I've been shooting whatever I can find, mostly 115gr FMJs of various brands with only so so accuracy. Honestly, most of my accuracy issues come from me but I never like to be limited by my equipment.

Roy

Yeah, I will admit I shot a couple of groups before this one, but I called every bad shot. The group right before this wasn't much worse...one I put a little bit out, but it was still like a 1.5 or 1.75" group at worst. Honestly, with the narrow front sight it's harder to get a perfect sight alignment. In a Ransom Rest I'd expect even better groups, but this will do for me. R,

• 5 years later...

Please let us know how the 147s work for you. Right now I'm thinking a 160 front sight is what I should get if I run 125s.

I went through a few iterations of the front sight and settled on the .160 front. Perfect