Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How well does your gun fit in the box

Pigdawg

CDP gun: The more times I try to fit my 1911 into the box, the better it fits. The rear sight digs into the wood and scrapes it away. I've trimmed the mag bases just enough but it's still a wee snug.

ESP gun: I can nearly put it in the box in all directions. I shoot my actual carry gun, a trimmed down 2011.

Adam could have at Rivanna and everyone else at cav and you'd still hear him!

HHHHHHHmmmmmmmm………there have been many interesting responses to the video.

Well, I’m the guy with the thumbs up and laughing in the video. Yup that’s my “gamer” of a gun.

Lets set the record straight - I shoot IDPA for the game and the game only. I grew up shooting bullseye with my dad who was a master level shooter.. He could not leave his guns alone and Iguess that’s where I get from. So the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. I have tried a couple of types of weapons for the “game” and ended up with what you see in the video. I truly enjoy tuning and tinkering in pursuit of the best(for me). So pushing my gun up to the limits is quite natural for me.

The video- My STI Eagle 9mm fit in three separate IDPA boxes at the VA Commonwealth Cup. Since then the only thing I changed (size wise) was the front sight. I changed it from a Brazos to a Dawson(I wanted a wider front post). The Brazos angles down toward the muzzle where the Dawson is flat. This angle allowed the gun to twist a little in the box allowing it to fit with out touching the sides of the box. Several of the people commenting in this post have seen me run this gun on box stages and I have had no problems getting it in or out during a match. This was the second time I had handled the gun since I got it back on the Tuesday prior to the match.

At this match they were having a courtesy tech inspection and they were waiting for me. I, we, several people made sure the guns was clear down range prior to handling the gun. This was when we found out the grip safety was not fully stopping the trigger from releasing the hammer. After about 5 mins of dry firing my gun it went to the box and then as a joke it was turned upside down(I was not very excited about that) for video purposes. I am probably the most nervous about muzzle safety and do not like muzzles point at me no matter what. The only reason I felt comfortable was because the amount of times we had cleared the gun prior to what you see in the video. All shooters have been swept by empty barrels in gun bags hundreds of times.

I have since fixed the trigger job and plan to change out the sight again prior to any matches

Relax, enjoy the sport, get what you want out of it, and most importantly have fun because you really don’t know when it could go away.

Gunnar “The Gamer”

Adam could have at Rivanna and everyone else at cav and you'd still hear him!

HHHHHHHmmmmmmmm………there have been many interesting responses to the video.

Well, I’m the guy with the thumbs up and laughing in the video. Yup that’s my “gamer” of a gun.

Lets set the record straight - I shoot IDPA for the game and the game only. I grew up shooting bullseye with my dad who was a master level shooter.. He could not leave his guns alone and Iguess that’s where I get from. So the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. I have tried a couple of types of weapons for the “game” and ended up with what you see in the video. I truly enjoy tuning and tinkering in pursuit of the best(for me). So pushing my gun up to the limits is quite natural for me.

The video- My STI Eagle 9mm fit in three separate IDPA boxes at the VA Commonwealth Cup. Since then the only thing I changed (size wise) was the front sight. I changed it from a Brazos to a Dawson(I wanted a wider front post). The Brazos angles down toward the muzzle where the Dawson is flat. This angle allowed the gun to twist a little in the box allowing it to fit with out touching the sides of the box. Several of the people commenting in this post have seen me run this gun on box stages and I have had no problems getting it in or out during a match. This was the second time I had handled the gun since I got it back on the Tuesday prior to the match.

At this match they were having a courtesy tech inspection and they were waiting for me. I, we, several people made sure the guns was clear down range prior to handling the gun. This was when we found out the grip safety was not fully stopping the trigger from releasing the hammer. After about 5 mins of dry firing my gun it went to the box and then as a joke it was turned upside down(I was not very excited about that) for video purposes. I am probably the most nervous about muzzle safety and do not like muzzles point at me no matter what. The only reason I felt comfortable was because the amount of times we had cleared the gun prior to what you see in the video. All shooters have been swept by empty barrels in gun bags hundreds of times.

I have since fixed the trigger job and plan to change out the sight again prior to any matches

Relax, enjoy the sport, get what you want out of it, and most importantly have fun because you really don’t know when it could go away.

Gunnar “The Gamer”

Gunnar:

Great post!!

Jim

I'm guessing Rivanna. You can hear Adam over everyone.

I haven't been to Rivanna all year. (and my voice doesn't quite travel that far yet) This equipment check was one of the funniest things I've seen shooting in a while.

Adam

I too have an STI Eagle with a Dawson front sight and a SVI magwell. I used it at the MS state match last year. I had just received it from Dawson and only had about 300 rounds through it, and had not tried it in the box yet. In the morning when it was cold and damp it fit in the box just like gun in the video. In the afternoon on the last stage where we started with gun in the box, it fit in the box without dragging. By then the air had dried out and the temp had risen 20 or so degrees.

Oh yeah, that's my carry gun too. :)