Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High primers with SDB...NOW with Update...

FYI - SDB setup for 45. I'm getting high primers. Some are WAY out but almost all are at least not flush.

I push as hard as I feel comfortable doing...smooth and strong.

I checked the shell plate to make sure it was tight...it wasn't too tight but that didn't fix things after tightening.

This seems to be getting worse...I haven't had it too long and bought it used but it worked fine for 100-200 rounds but now they are all too high.

Winchester primers w/mixed brass - FWIW pmc brass seems to be the worst but they all are too high and I got caught yesterday in a match..doh...luckily I brought a bunch of WWB just in case.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Joel

Edited by hk_mtbr

Primers are seated solely by pushing the handle forward at the end of the upstroke of the handle.

Be aware that large rifle primers are about .008" taller than large pistol primers, so it's a good idea

to make sure you weren't accidently sold the wrong type of primer. Also, there are 45 ACP cases out there

that use small primers, so watch for those.

Another possibility is you might have some cases with crimped primer pockets. These require removing the crimp by

swaging or reaming before a new primer can be seated.

If your bench top is plywood, it could flex enough to prevent primer seating. :ph34r:

I started loading 45 with a SDB a few months ago, also with a used machine. Have you watched the primer punch raise up as you push the handle ( with no case on the shell plate )? Does it seem to raise high enough to bottom out if an unprimed case were in the shell plate? Do you have a copy of the Square Deal B Help Guide? It addresses several potential causes. I think I found the help guide on Dillon's web site.

Primers are seated solely by pushing the handle forward at the end of the upstroke of the handle.

Be aware that large rifle primers are about .008" taller than large pistol primers, so it's a good idea

to make sure you weren't accidently sold the wrong type of primer. Also, there are 45 ACP cases out there

Another possibility is you might have some cases with crimped primer pockets. These require removing the crimp by

If your bench top is plywood, it could flex enough to prevent primer seating. :ph34r:

Thanks for the fast reply.

The worktop isn't plywood and I'm using the strong mount too.

I'll make sure my bench is really not flexing...can I push too hard?

I'll also double check the primers...could have happened...that would be embarrassing but simple ;-)

The brass is all mixed and no- sp brass so far...thanks for reminding me to triple check that!

Still loving my Dillion(s)...I don't have the 550 set up yet though...

Thanks again.

Thanks Dillon! This was the answer.

I purchased a few 100 packs from a large fish professional store that sells reloading stuff...sort of.

The packaging on Winchester Large rifle and Large Pistol is almost identical...well... for those of us who can't read... <_< Anyway there were 2 pistol packs and 2 rifle packs with a rubber band around them - pistol on top. I have now removed the primers from my SDB and found the remaining LR primers and thrown them in my reloading trash...I'll have to pull the bullets for about 75-100 more. Someone told me I need one of those pullers eventually.

I'm new to reloading but really have been trying to be careful...

And now I can load a bunch on my special loads for this weekend at BGSL!

Thanks Brian for the super resource too!

:cheers: