Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gripping Your Handgun

exoninja

I've read about it everywhere, your weak thumb should be pointing at the target. Does the weak thumb merely happened to have to be in that position, or is the weak thumb used as an aiming guide? Like whenever you want to shoot something, you'll consicously point your weak thumb at it?

Aiming is not consicous , as Brian has so eloquently stated, it is a result of your intent to hit the target. The position of the thumb pointing has more to do with the strength of your wrist being totally locked out versus partially locked out. When the left wrist is fully locked out, the run returns to the same spot very quickly and consistantly.

exoninja, I prctice with pointing my weak hand thumb towards the target, however when I get the chance to be videoed, I notice that my thumb isn't pointed at the target but pressed against my index finger on the same hand. So I'm looking at the tape and thinking I'm doing it wrong but the scores are telling a different story, so it's what works for you and you alone.

Does the weak thumb merely happened to have to be in that position, or is the weak thumb used as an aiming guide?

Don't think of your weak thumb as an aiming guide - especially in the beginning, aim with your sights. Look right at them just before and while the shot is firing.

And yes, your weak thumb is where it is as a result of employing an effective grip (with your weak hand) - wrist cammed forward and down, and contacting the pistol as high as possible.

be