Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Free Floating Handguard

Bill Nesbitt

How hard is it to install a free floating handguard? Can a parts changer such as myself do it or do I need the services of a gunsmith? :D Does the front sight have to be removed?

I have a pre ban Colt Sporter Rifle, Target Model. The trigger was done by Al Zitta several years ago. It has a Fabian Bros muzzle stabilizer and a Tasco PDP2 mounted on the carry handle. I use it for local 3-gun.

At 50 yards there is 3 inches difference in where the group impacts when I rest the rifle on the back compared to the front of the handguard. I tested this several time today using my newly built portable shooting bench. :D

Bill Nesbitt

You have to remove the front sight assm. and the muzzle brake or flash hider. They must come off to allow removal of the barrel nut. It's not difficult with the right tools. Get a service manual and all will be made clear. :)

I put an EGW tube on my AR a while back. Getting the front-sight pins out was a pain, but once I got the tools right (barrel clamps, AR wrench) it went much easier. The rest of it is unscrew this, screw in that, put those pins back in. I used the Brownells bipod swivel-and-backer. That's one more hole to drill.