Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting with my Dad

ChrisMcCracken

I lost my dad to cancer, about 18 months ago at only 64. Just about the time I got back into pistol shooting really seriously. He use to shoot and hunt and reload a lot when I was a kid, and he taught me. We hadn't shot together in years, but when he was sick, we played less golf and shot more. Shooting required less mobility. Shooting with dad brought back great memories of childhood.

Watching the mixture of pride and frustration on his face (he was just a TINY BIT competitive... LOL) when I started shooting MUCH better than he could, was fun for both of us. If you're going to be out-shot by anyone... I guess it's best that it's your son! He really enjoyed shooting my new high-tech "plastic toys"... but the last gun he bought a few months before he died? A blued-steel Smith and Wesson Chief's Special Model 36... "For my Mom" he said. Mom still has it under her pillow. I'm guessing 1% for protection, and 99% to remind her of him. That's one little gun that will never be sold or traded away.

RIP, Dad.