Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal Stage?

lynn jones

I am assuming the 2003 Tenn. Match is an USPSA match? As such, it falls under the current USPSA rule book (old red).

4.1.3 says that the targets that score need to be of a single color.

Is this a Sanctioned or Tournament match?

If so, under US Appendix A, Us Match Levels...

- All shooting is freestyle or dictated by props, except for standards.

(Guess what I just realized...USPSA doesn't recognize the IPSC "Levels" for matches. We have Approved, Sanctioned, and Tournament. hmmmm)

It's kind of interesting to note that the fourth stage is a mirror image of the first stage (Bizzaro Left) without a reload. I suppose it's nice to have folks trying to keep the course design innovative and refreshing, but it looks to me like the designer is really inviting a lot of criticsm.

flex,

this will be a Sanctioned match. the section coordinator approved the stages. the designer of the stage is also the section coordinator. the color of the targets is not a problem. i guess the new rule book "medium course" rule 1.2.1.2 is what the designer is using.

the required reload is the problem, the new and old rules are violated (rule 1.1.5).

lynn

flex,

agreed, there isn't a new book in effect now. anyway, the require reload is a problem, also.

your correct about the colors. i was thinking the next stage (#4 was going to be the next array). i need those reading glasses. :angry: thanks for pointing that out.

i'll see if i can get these stages changed.

lynn

Does the white side of a target have scoring perfs on it?

I question whether it is legal to be able to assess 2 procedurals for failing to comply with the mandatory reload on this stage. Generally, assessing multiple procedurals for a failure to comply with a mandatory reload applies to a stage that has a very specific, single, point in the stage where the reload is required. This stage allows the shooter to reload at any time after the first 2 shots and before the last 2 shots. I believe that not performing the reload during this wide window of opportunity should only incur a single procedure.

Having a mandatory reload on this stage is legal. It is covered by a ruling made by Amidon.

NROI Ruling

Lynn,

Sorry dude, I don't know how I missed this thread !

Anyway, the proposed stage seems legal in respect of Rule 1.1.5 which provides an exemption to the freestyle rules for Level I and Level II matches, hence the mandatory reload is OK. However there should only be a single procedural penalty for failing to perform the reload.

On the other hand, the stage is illegal under Rules 4.1.3 et al, because of the target colours and markings. In a nutshell, Scoring Targets must be brown and Penalty Targets must be a different colour or "marked" (e.g. with an "X").

Darth...take a look at:

...USPSA doesn't recognize the IPSC "Levels" for matches. We have Approved, Sanctioned, and Tournament. hmmmm)

US Appendix A - US Match Levels - Sanctioned Match

- All shooting is freestyle or dictated by props, except for standards.

Flex,

The USPSA, like every other region, is required to comply strictly with IPSC rules and regulations if it wants international sanctioning for a match, and there are a number of matches held in the USA each year which do apply for and receive IPSC Level III sanctioning.

Although "US Appendix A" does not really explain the difference between an "approved" and a "sanctioned" match, I presume those are domestic terms to differentiate between USPSA Level I and Level II matches - a Tournament is defined in Rule 6.1.4.

I also believe the "All shooting is freestyle or dictated by props, except for standards" wording is merely guidance and part of the match checklist.

However if you believe the subject wording is actually a rule, then "US Appendix A" seems to be in direct conflict with Rule 1.1.5, and that's something you'll need to take up with the USPSA.

here's what john a. said:

The only problem with stage 3, is that the match is listed as a point series

match, these are treated as a level lll match (tournament in the US),

therefore,

1.1.5 states that mandatory reloads may only be specified in standards and

shootoffs, the latitude given to level l and ll will not apply to your

match.

The reload has to go.

Stage 4 becomes interpretive in what is a typical cardboard solid color,

I have seen stages using white as shoot targets, and have approved them for

Area Championships, though I have express to them that it is more of a mind

game stage due to everyone having been imbedded with don't shoot the

white, but it does not violate 4.1.3.

Regards,

John Amidon

Lynn,

You had better get back with Amidon on the color thing.

The stage calls for the shooter to shoot half one color (array1), and the other half the other color (array 2). Right?

I doubt that Amidon picked up on that (from reading his response that you posted).