Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 short colt help needed

71Commander

I just started playing with short rounds for a 627 also. Case length is very secondary to oal. Base your loads on data for the oal length you're loading to, be it 9mm or 38 super, or other data. Your revolver will chrono quite a bit slower than your bottom feeder.

I just started playing with short rounds for a 627 also. Case length is very secondary to oal. Base your loads on data for the oal length you're loading to, be it 9mm or 38 super, or other data. Your revolver will chrono quite a bit slower than your bottom feeder.

I only need a PF of 120. The above is in the 130+ range out of a bottom feeder.

Is this load doable?

Due to the volume of the case you should be very close using 9x19 load data. Please start conservatively when starting your loads.......

That would be the right diameter of bullet to use, but I would only buy about 500 to see if they will shoot. I was not happy with 115jhps when I tried to load them up in Shorts. I have had best accuracy with heavier bullets, 147-150grain roundnose or fmj type bullets that load pretty slick into the gun.

Unfortunately I wouldnt use TG with the blackbullets or lead either.......It will smoke like a Locomotive, but yes, you should be able to do that load easily.....

Good luck,

DougC

Due to the volume of the case you should be very close using 9x19 load data. Please start conservatively when starting your loads.......

That would be the right diameter of bullet to use, but I would only buy about 500 to see if they will shoot. I was not happy with 115jhps when I tried to load them up in Shorts. I have had best accuracy with heavier bullets, 147-150grain roundnose or fmj type bullets that load pretty slick into the gun.

Unfortunately I wouldnt use TG with the blackbullets or lead either.......It will smoke like a Locomotive, but yes, you should be able to do that load easily.....

Good luck,

DougC

I'm still learning, but I found the INSIDE case diameter was a FAR MORE

IMPORTANT determinant of OAL than the load data. The case starts getting narrower pretty fast and will bulge if you seat a heavy bullet too deep. May not be an issue with 115 gr but am interested if you can make minor safely... I second the heavier bullets.

Yep, you have to be careful with your OAL.....I load my 9x19 and my short colts to 1.130 with the same load data and they are pretty damn close on the chrono, through a variety of loads. There are folks across the pond that load short colts to Major PF.......my hat is off to them as I dont want to go there, but it is nice to know it can be done safely.....

DougC

I as a rule dont like plated bullets, but I have had good luck with the 147 fmj sized .357 from Berrys....you have to ask for them....well....maybe it is Xtreme bullets....well, one of them anyway.....Be very careful with the 158s and fast powder...

Good luck,

DougC