Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People who think you can leveling the playing field

TMC

This is a rant that was going to be a reply to another thread but that wouldn't be constructive.

The "level the playing field" statement that always comes up in the discussion of equipment rules bugs the stuffing's out of me. You can level the equipment but you cannot level ability, talent, and the desire to win. The best shooters will always be at the top no matter what guns they shoot. At local clubs guys with production gear beat guys with open guns all the time. Its not the gear its the shooter. It always troubles me when folks who know the sport, who have been around it much longer than I have, talk about leveling the playing field, as if some rule will allow the new guy to compete with a GM. Its not going to happen. One of the newer games set out to "level the playing field" but when that games national match comes around who ends up on top? not the new guy, its Rob, Todd, Dave, Doug, Jerry....you know the names. If that game leveled the playing field then someone you never heard of would win but they don't.

Get over it, you can't level the playing field!

Yup. Never understood this statement either. Those folks need to get over it and realize that a level playing will NEVER exist. Ever notice how these folks who bitch about this are never the match winners? :)

Edited by larry cazes

I am not affected by any new rule changes as I shoot a nearly stock gun. That being said, I would be very angry if I had spent money with the go ahead to do so and then the rules changed. I understand this is the way of things and I know they can't please everyone. But I completely agree with you. I am just a C class production shooter and I'm pretty confident I will never be a world champion, but it will be because A) I don't have the talent or B) I am unwilling to do the work. It won't be because someone else had a slightly more tricked out gun. I say set a round capacity and a power floor and "LET HER RIP!"

Since day 1 I have wanted to win. I started shooting matches 3 years ago and every match I do my best. I know I'm not going to win and that's ok. I'm a c shooter getting close to b, and that is good enough for me. Time and practice and most of all have fun. I have more friends now in the shooting world than anywhere else. That's where it's at. In 20 years from now u will b better. :cheers:

+ 1000

I hard that before and this is a red face hate I can get into.

I herd that with target presentation. on Shot gun Clays I said they would have to give me a gun I only saw the week before and and make sure that it does not fit me. put a choke in that was wrong for each shot.

For hang gun <_< the only way to make it even is make sure all the guns are not reliable , make sure all the ammo is unreliable. set all the sight to be inconsistently off. Make sure each shooter has holsters they are uncomfortable with. And change the rules on every stage so that everyone is ignorant of them.

and make darn sure the experience shooter only looked at 1/2 of the shooting positions on a stage. :angry2:

Equal opportunity yes

<_< If you don't think your equipment is first rate and gives you an advantage,= you planed to louse.

I know many shooters are better than me and I don't shoot against other shooters. I am very happy when better shoots are at the event.

I shoot against the stage to get as close as I can to my potential.