Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Molded Ear Plugs

TBF

First, are some better than others, or are they all the same?

Next, how much protection do they offer, and how do they work under muffs?

Do they offer more protection than traditional plugs?

Any advice appreciated.

Travis F.

Custom molded they are effective according to the guy who molds them and how still you sit while they harden. I have some from '95 done by a local shotgunner and mine have the electronics. Fabulous, but very expensive then.

Don't know the cost now. you will love them, they don't hurt your ears when wearing them all day, and are not hot like muffs, although they don't protect you like the muffs do.

I like mine although I don't use them for shooting handguns, just shotguns because the comb was too high to use muffs.

The reduction is very good, although they don't say how much, It seems they reduce as good as normal muffs, not as much a the thicker ones (like a Peltor 10), so maybe ballpark a NR of 22?. The best part, is they fit right in, and there's no delay to expand like a 'normal' plug

Here's an old thread where I droned on endlessly about custom plugs:

Old custom plugs thread

Seems like a FAQ may be in order....

To reiterate Lynn and TL: get a good fitter. AND get the good, molded plugs, not the instant gratification, shove silly putty in your ears and call it a an earplug stuff. You need a good audiologist to fit you properly. The results are worth the effort and the wait.

i got mine about three years ago at camp perry in ohio. mine cost about $35 though she did have a pair for $50 made out of stronger material. i wear mine all the time while at a match and then when it's time to shoot i slip on muffs. the reason for the "double bagging" is ambient noise. the only thing i want to hear is the buzzer and the ro, i could care less what the peanut gallery is saying i.e. oohhh! and where are the white pasters? you know who you people are, the loud mouths in the back that can't stop talking about how well they shoot.

so find your nearest audiologist and have a set made. wear the plugs and muffs while shooting and you'll be amazed at how much you can focus on shooting.

just my 2 cents.