Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sear Spring

josh smith

hi guys, my name is josh(newbie) and i have a question about adjusting the sear spring of my STI edge. I dont know any local gunsmith so I decided to play with the trigger system of my gun. I really like the pre-travel and overtravel of my trigger now. Also, I really like it now because it so easy to squeeze the trigger(maybe less than two pounds). But the problem is if the slide is open and if i use the slide-stop to bring the slide back, the hammer follows the slide to a half-cock. I dont know what to do. Should i play with the left leg of the sear-spring? or the middle leg? I really like the trigger now but hammer following the slide to half-cock is the problem. Can somebody help me with this please.

thanks a lot in advance.

Josh

Josh, Welcome. I really wished you posted here before doing you mods. I'd tell you to set aside your original spring and try tweaking a new spring that way you could get your gun running if you run into problems. You need a certain amount of weight on both the sear and disconnector spring. ***BE VERY CAREFULL!***

I've had my Edge for almost 2 years, have a very competent gunsmith nearby, and we have NEVER been able to make my trigger any less than 2 3/8 lbs. to the point that it wouldn't fall to half-cock or double/triple. In fact I finally decided that 2.5 lbs is just fine (for me) on a Limited gun. I'd rather play it safe than goof around with something that could ruin my day or my match.

BE VERY CAREFUL playing around with your own trigger because IT WILL GO FULL AUTO on you sooner or later, and you'll send 10-20 rounds over the berm or up into the air and either hurt somebody or at the very least get your local range SHUT DOWN. Playing around with your overtravel screw can have the same effect.

Competent gunsmiths have been doing PROPER TRIGGER JOBS for years and years, and they know what they are doing. My gunsmith studied at Nowlin over 20 years ago.

Good advice above. If you go ahead and try to adjust the sear spring yourself then be very careful when testing with live ammo. You should load one round at a time, take the mag out of the gun and watch for hammer follow or dropping to half cock after the round is fired. Fire quite a few rounds this way before loading a mag with more than one round in it. This way if your hammer still follows you aren't sending rounds into the air.

Chris