Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 crushing primers

This happened to me after I had loaded up a few thousand rounds. A bunch of gunk had built up on/under the primer wheel causing it to stop short instead of snapping into place when it hit the detent. I just took it apart, gave it a quick clean to fix it.

This happened to me after I had loaded up a few thousand rounds. A bunch of gunk had built up on/under the primer wheel causing it to stop short instead of snapping into place when it hit the detent. I just took it apart, gave it a quick clean to fix it.

Will do in the am. Ive loaded 2k rounds and this started happening into about 1600 or so.

I agree with the others - empty the machine of brass and primers, and make sure the shellplate and primer wheel rotate/ratchet correctly and smoothly. Clean and lube. Check every allen screw you can find to ensure it's tight.

I added a weight (random nut that was the right size) to my low-primer alarm's guiderod thingy. This cuts down on flipped/crushed primers slightly. Also ensure the bench is bolted to the wall. That makes a world of difference in ALL aspects of 650 reloading.