Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where can I rent a pistol?

Hi guys:

A friend of mine and I are planning to attend the 2009 Florida State Match, next May.

As flying with guns is becoming a hard task, I thought about renting a Glock pistol.

Does anyone know if around the match area, if there´s anyone available to rent it?. (I would go from here with the holster, mag pouches and belt).

Thanks in advance.

Alberto

Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Hi guys:

A friend of mine and I are planning to attend the 2009 Florida State Match, next May.

As flying with guns is becoming a hard task, I thought about renting a Glock pistol.

Does anyone know if around the match area, if there´s anyone available to rent it?. (I would go from here with the holster, mag pouches and belt).

Thanks in advance.

Alberto

Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I'm not in Florida, so I can't say what goes locally. But I can say that you might have better luck asking somebody in the area or even an attendee for a loaner (well in advance, of course).

I don't think any commercial outfit (I'm talking about target ranges), for liability and practical business reasons, would let a rental handgun leave their premises.

Good luck

kc

I was taking a vacation in Florida last year. Unfortunately, it was my last stop on an international business trip that prohibited me from taking my own firearm. I got online here as well as the local Florida sections, and found two different guys that were very nice and loaned me firearms for the local matches.

Get online, send a few emails to section coordinators, match directors, or club officers. I can guarantee you'll find someone willing to help.

Unfortunately, as an alien, federal law states that you're not allowed to rent a gun, or take possession of one in any way, unless you have a valid US hunting license. According to ATF you may not even rent a gun at a range, to use at that range.

It _might_ be legal for you to borrow a gun from another shooter, as long as that shooter ALWAYS is in your immediate vicinity, so that you can't be considered to be in possession. As soon as the owner leaves you unattended (going to the bathroom, for example), you could be considered to be in possession of the gun and ammunition, which would be a felony for both you and the owner. I strongly recommend calling ATF for a confirmation (or even get it in writing) before attempting this.

This is from the FAQ found on atf.gov:

(R33) I'm a nonimmigrant alien who is coming to the United States for two weeks to go hunting. Can I rent a firearm in the United States to use on this trip? What if I want to go to a shooting range one day - can I rent a firearm there as well?

As long as you possess a valid hunting license from a State within the United States, you may rent firearms to hunt and to use at a shooting range. If you do not have the hunting license, your possession of the firearms and ammunition will be unlawful. The hunting license does NOT have to be from the State where you will be possessing the guns and ammunition.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5) and (9), 922(g)(5)(B) and 922(y)]

Edited by gose

FWIW, our understanding up here in New York where we have Canadian shooters who bring their guns over the border to our matches, handling a gun that is not listed on your ATF form 6 is a felony.

Not a lawyer and do not play one on TV.