Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

UpLULA OoOPS

ChuckS

Hi all,

I had a couple mag problems at the NRG300 last week with a mag that had been faultless in the past. In both cases it was a nose down failure. I managed to collect the evidence in both cases. These rounds were involved in the failure:

post-400-1235964974_thumb.jpg

I just couldn't figure out where the dent came from. I couldn't see a way the gun could do it. After some reflection, I realized something. This was the first match that I shot open since Area 2. At that match I bought a UpLULA mag loader. Last weekend was the first time I used it (I took a vacation from shooting open to mess around in Single Stack). The mag in question is a big stick that gets pretty hard to fill on the last 2 rounds. On the next to last round, I set the ammo as always with a whack of the basepad to the palm of my hand, but this time it was with the loader on the mag. The last round slipped in fairly easy down the chute. The next photo is a little dark but you can see that the dent aligns perfectly with the end of the feed ramp on the mag loader:

post-400-1235965581_thumb.jpg

So, I managed to dent the case with the mag loader. :surprise: That allowed me to enjoy a nose down failure of the top round when it rim-locked in the dented round. I used the same mag today every time I needed a big stick and it worked fine by loading to full-2 with the loader, then setting the ammo without the loader and loading the last 2 round the old fashioned way. Worked fine. I guess this is another case where a good mechanism can be overcome with the application of excessive force. :angry2:

You have been warned,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

Jim,

I can either fill it up with the loader and get to practice jamb clearing or fill it up and hurt my thumb a little but have the mag run 100%. I think I know the way I will go....

Later,

Chuck