Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thanks to Wolf, got a chance to use my new bullet puller.

It's either my LCP or Wolf small pistol primers. I think its the Wolf primers. Many times I pulled the trigger and nothing happened.

I removed the round looked at the primer, saw a dent. Sometimes, when I put the round back in and puller the trigger, it fired. That's why I think I got some lousy Wolf primers.

So, I got out my brand new, Hornady Cam Lock bullet puller and, after fiddling with it, pulled 200 bullets from my other .380 reloads, knocked out the Wolf primers and easily captured the powder. Didn't take no time at all.

Then, I re-primed the cases with Federal small pistol primers and reloaded them.

Now, I'm gonna see if the Federal Primers go bang - every time. The Federals weren't my first choice, but I couldn't find any CCIs.

But, I sure was happy with the Cam Lock Puller. I don't want to even think about using my hammer puller to pull 200 bullets.

Here's what it looks like:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewp...productnumber=851547

You have to buy the collets separately, but obviously, the collet I used to pull the .380 bullets will also work with 9mm, 38 and 357.

PS - this is the first time Wolf primers have given me any trouble. I use 'em in my 9mm, 357 and 40 SW reloads, and have had no problems - knock on wood.

Hack

Edited by Hack

I have been using Wolf primers for a couple of years with no problems. Just starting this year I'm having about 1 per hundred Wolf small rifle primers misfire, I have used thousands before with no problems. Winchesters are still working fine in the same gun.

I have read on here that they don't seat as well as others...

• 2 weeks later...

It's either my LCP or Wolf small pistol primers. I think its the Wolf primers. Many times I pulled the trigger and nothing happened.

I removed the round looked at the primer, saw a dent. Sometimes, when I put the round back in and puller the trigger, it fired. That's why I think I got some lousy Wolf primers.

So, I got out my brand new, Hornady Cam Lock bullet puller and, after fiddling with it, pulled 200 bullets from my other .380 reloads, knocked out the Wolf primers and easily captured the powder. Didn't take no time at all.

Then, I re-primed the cases with Federal small pistol primers and reloaded them.

Now, I'm gonna see if the Federal Primers go bang - every time. The Federals weren't my first choice, but I couldn't find any CCIs.

But, I sure was happy with the Cam Lock Puller. I don't want to even think about using my hammer puller to pull 200 bullets.

You have to buy the collets separately, but obviously, the collet I used to pull the .380 bullets will also work with 9mm, 38 and 357.

PS - this is the first time Wolf primers have given me any trouble. I use 'em in my 9mm, 357 and 40 SW reloads, and have had no problems - knock on wood.

Hack

Hack, I've tried the Forster puller with limited success. I'm not sure there is enough area below the ogee(?) that is exposed on the bullet to get a good purchase.

I might try the Hornady, based on your success. I won't tell you how many I need to pull (because of my error). I've already embarassed myself enough thinking about it.

... knocked out the Wolf primers ...

How were you removing the primers? I've never had to do it (and have never thought about how I would do it).

I just gently ran the case back up into my resizing/depriming die. My press, the Hornady LnL, has a long tube that carries a used primer to the trash can. What I did was take one of my wife's longer old flower vases, stuck the tube into it and collected the knocked out primers.

Hack

Hack

Hack, I've tried the Forster puller with limited success. I'm not sure there is enough area below the ogee(?) that is exposed on the bullet to get a good purchase.

I might try the Hornady, based on your success. I won't tell you how many I need to pull (because of my error). I've already embarassed myself enough thinking about it.

I've never used the Forster puller, but the Hornady does just what I wanted it to. Grabbed those little 380 round nose bullets with ease. And, as you probably know, a lot of it is "feel". I got better and better at it.

I reckon we aren't the only ones who make mistakes and need to pull a bullet. After all, every reloading manufacturer I know of makes one kind or another.