Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timer question

Alan Adamson

I didn't see an electronics section, so I hope none of you mind the inqury here.

I'm looking for a timer that can be worn by me (the shooter), that can trigger it's start based upon the main RO's timer (any kind, but a separate timer). Thereby recording my time in parallel with the RO timer and more importantly my shot pattern for later review/analysis. I figured the CED 7000 would do such, but I can't find any reference in it's manual for a mode where it can be started remotely and be silent in its operation.

Anyone know or know of?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Alan,

Without launching a major upgrade program to all the timers in your world, your timer would probably have to be triggered by the sound of the RO timer start signal. The problem is that the sound level is low enough that you would need very high sensitivity on your timer. That would probably allow your timer to pick up shots from other bays and noise from things other than gun shots. If you are just trying to record a stage run, ask the RO to use your timer for your run. Squadmates may get suspicious. :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

Alan,

Without launching a major upgrade program to all the timers in your world, your timer would probably have to be triggered by the sound of the RO timer start signal. The problem is that the sound level is low enough that you would need very high sensitivity on your timer. That would probably allow your timer to pick up shots from other bays and noise from things other than gun shots. If you are just trying to record a stage run, ask the RO to use your timer for your run. Squadmates may get suspicious. :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

actually, it wouldn't require any upgrade for all the timers in the world. These timers I'm sure use an algorithm to detect shots. The wave from of a shot is very different from the waveform of a start signal and the duration is way longer. So it would just be a feature that one of the timer manufactures implement. Basically, looking for a beeeeep vs. a BANG.

Thanks for the comments, sure seems like a worthwhile feature that I'm sure someone will implement. I can't be the first to see the need for it... I'm just starting out, but I sure would like to "replay" my course run, and have the data and staggers of my shots. Actually, while on the topic, if these guys would implement a simple accelerometer/compass module (one little tiny chip no a days) into the hardware, you could also figure out location and direction. From all the data, you could actually MAP the shots as well. Assuming of course that you wear the timer in the middle of your back and do a simple calibration so the timer knows what direction is what.

If you used something like the CED that straps to your wrist and started it as part of your "Load and Make Ready Routine", the only thing you would miss would be the draw time - between the beep and the first shot. But you would have all the shot times after that so you can calculate the deltas.

If you used something like the CED that straps to your wrist and started it as part of your "Load and Make Ready Routine", the only thing you would miss would be the draw time - between the beep and the first shot. But you would have all the shot times after that so you can calculate the deltas.

Yeah, that's the CED7000. In spy mode it starts on the first shot and all you'd have to do is ask the RO for the first shot time to have everything possible. R,