Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9X18 Makarov

Intarsiac

Well, I've confused myself researching loading 9X18 Makarov on my 550B. Seems that Dillon does not make dies for 9X18 Makarov? They do make the powder funnel for 9X18 Mak, which would perform the case belling function. I would think that I would need dies from another manufacturer for resizing, seating, and taper crimping. Any ideas on who would supply those dies? Most three die sets seem to have resizing, belling (not needed, if I use Dillon's powder funnel/powder measure) and a seating die, but no taper crimp die. I have the shellplate and locater buttons for 9mm, which is the same for 9X18 Mak.

To recap, I think I need:

Dillon toolhead and powder die

9X18 Mak Dillon powder funnel

some other manufacturer for resizing, seating, and taper crimp dies (need recommended source)

Did I miss anything?

Thanks!

I got set up to reload 9 x 18 several years ago so some of my information may be out of date.

Dillon tool head for a 550B

Dillon #5 shell plate

Dillon #9 powder funnel

Dillon #3 pins

RCBS reloading dies (3 pc set)

Starline brass

Sierra bullets

VihtaVuori Oy N330 powder (don't remember how much)

Good luck.

I'm going to show my ignorance here, so bear with me :roflol:

Isn't a 9x18 makarov a tapered case similar to the 9x19 luger round? If so, couldn't you use the standard 9mm dies and crank them down by 1mm? Kinda like you do with .38/.357 dies?

Like I said, my ignorance may be showing badly here.

dj

After posting the above ignorance question above, I did the homework I should have done beforehand and found this chart on makarov.com

post-473-1235495730_thumb.jpg

from makarov.com, "The 9x18 Makarov uses a nearly cylindrical case and 9.2 mm (.363"-.365") bullet"

So in answering my own question, No, running 9mm dies down an additional 1 mm will not work.

Sorry I bored you guys with my education :roflol:

dj