Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Number to tell diff. large or small frame

hitt99

I'm new to the forum, but I have two EAA witness FS one in 10mm and one in 38 super. Was wondering if anybody Knew the serial numbers that were the small frames. My 38 super slide doesn't have the front serrations?

Yes to that.

It's pretty easy and here's a little background.

The Tanfoglio/CZ model guns were originally made for 9mm. Factory 40 S&W also fits into this category. The length of the mags are 1.25" or approx 32mm.

Tanfoglio continued the development and to be able to offer calibers like .45 ACP, .38 Super and 10mm a large frame magazine/frame needed to be developed. They took more material out of the frame to fit a larger magazine. This allowed UNIQUELY large frame calibers such as .38 super, 10mm and .45 ACP.

What causes all the confusion is 9mm and 40 S&W. Tanfoglio offer these in both frame sizes. The outside dimensions are pretty much the same, but you can technically buy a 9mm and 40 s&W in either large or small frame. In the US, all "newer" (about 10 years or so) guns are large frame ONLY. For rest of the world it does vary and this is where it's important to know what your frame is before ordering

1) Firing Pin

2) Trigger Bar

3) Magazine

4) Slide

5) Magazine Pad

6) Magazine Follower

7) Magazine Base Plate

8) Mag release

If I'm forgetting anything please chime in.

You can check it yourself by measuring the magazine.

Small frame mags are 1.25" x 0.800" (about 32mm in bullet direction length)

Large frame mags are 1.345" x 0.850" (about 34mm in bullet direction length)

Hope this clarifies things a little more for you.

So, on the 38super can I just buy a barrel for 9mm and use the same 18 rd.mag. for 9mm? and on the 10mm can I buy a 40sw barrel and use the 10mm 15 rd. mag.?

Edited by hitt99

38 / 9:

If you have the old-style 38 super mags which are the current 9mm mags... means there's a flat intendation on the side of the mag. If not, you'll have the new-style 38 super mags with 2 indentations. In the first case, yes you can use the same mags. The "current' 9mm mag is the old style 38 super mags which works great for both calibers. In the second case, I doubt the 2 indentend 38 super mags will work for 9mm. Never tried it, but don't expect it. That said, a new 9mm mag is in the works and who knows how this will work for either calibers... For factory 9mm ammo you need the specific 9mm mags (that has a spacer to accept factory length ammo)

10 / 40:

I use 10mm and 40 S&W mags as the same as long as the OAL is at least 1.175". If you're shooting factory 40, you need the factory 40 mags which is compensating for the 1.135" OAL.

;-))

38 / 9:

If you have the old-style 38 super mags which are the current 9mm mags... means there's a flat intendation on the side of the mag. If not, you'll have the new-style 38 super mags with 2 indentations. In the first case, yes you can use the same mags. The "current' 9mm mag is the old style 38 super mags which works great for both calibers. In the second case, I doubt the 2 indentend 38 super mags will work for 9mm. Never tried it, but don't expect it. That said, a new 9mm mag is in the works and who knows how this will work for either calibers... For factory 9mm ammo you need the specific 9mm mags (that has a spacer to accept factory length ammo)

10 / 40:

I use 10mm and 40 S&W mags as the same as long as the OAL is at least 1.175". If you're shooting factory 40, you need the factory 40 mags which is compensating for the 1.135" OAL.

;-))

is there a picture some where that I can see the indentations that you are talking about, as I only have the one mag that came with the gun.

is there a picture some where that I can see the indentations that you are talking about, as I only have the one mag that came with the gun.

Hi,

I suppose THIS is what Henning means.

Observe the depressed area/indentation on the side of the mag, which is also on the other side BTW. I was thinking about trying the old 38 mags out for more capacity in this large frame 9mm Stock II.....

Bianchi

OK, I have the 38super European Competition mags without any indentation along the side (same as the comp mags you build & offer at your shop).

My gun is a large frame Stock II Limited 38super, can I put a 9mm barrel in & use the 38super mags I have?

Cheers, Ando.

Edited by NOSAJ19

OK, I have the 38super European Competition mags without any indentation along the slide (same as the comp mags you build & offer at your shop).

My gun is a large frame Stock II Limited 38super, can I put a 9mm barrel in & use the 38super mags I have?

Cheers, Ando.

G´day Ando,

Have you tried loading 9mm Para into the mags (the ones without an indentation on the s(l)ide)? If so, how many went in? Presumably the mag base is the flimsy plastic type as in my linked photo. You guys are lucky - a full length slide keeps the recoil down..... :D

Cheers,

Bianchi

OK, I have the 38super European Competition mags without any indentation along the slide (same as the comp mags you build & offer at your shop).

Cheers, Ando.

G´day Ando,

Have you tried loading 9mm Para into the mags (the ones without an indentation on the s(l)ide)? If so, how many went in? Presumably the mag base is the flimsy plastic type as in my linked photo. You guys are lucky - a full length slide keeps the recoil down..... :D

Cheers,

Bianchi

Hey Mate,

yeah we might be lucky to have the Stock II Limited, but the mags we get have dimples front & back with a lazer cut through the mag, dimple to dimple. 10 round max, local law crap.

Cheers, Ando.

Hey Mate,

yeah we might be lucky to have the Stock II Limited, but the mags we get have dimples front & back with a lazer cut through the mag, dimple to dimple. 10 round max, local law crap.

Cheers, Ando.

Ta Ando,

A 10 round limit really ain't dinkum cobber. I was hoping that you could explain how to get 20 rounds into the Stock II mag.....

Cheers :cheers:

Bianchi