Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

line-bore chambering ?

lrjet

How does one make sure the chamber and bore axis is concentric. When I look down the muzzle of my 627 at lock up I can just see part of the cylinder from about 4:30 to 10:00 position in a moon sliver shape. When the bullet is entering the forcing cone and still in the cylinder the bullet would be cocked out of alignment which would deform the bullet and cause poor accuracy as it spins to the target. Is this proper thinking or not an issue. Thx

If this question is about the chamber being in line with the bore upon lockup they make a (tool) that fits down the bore and when the cylinder lines up it will fall into the cylinder a ways. I have seen Gene (a freind of miine) use it when checking timing on revo's he was working on. Hope this is helpful but I don't recall the name of the (dohickie). later rdd

The tool is called a Range Rod. It is a cylinder that is a close fit to the lands of a given caliber. It is placed in the barrel from the front

and slid down the bore. When it reaches the front of the cylinder, if it clicks or catches on the front edge of the cylinder, the gun is out of

time. If it slides into the cylinder smoothly without catching, the chamber is in alignment with the bore. If the chamber is misaligned,

the fix depends on which direction it's off; to the left or to the right. Looking at the gun from the back as you would shoot it, off to the

right means the hand is not pushing far enough to index. Off to the left means the hand is pushing too far and going past index. Bent

frame, bent crane, worn cylinder stop, worn extractor pin hole, etc. can all play a part too. Each individual gun requires a different

fix based on what parameters are out of spec. That can only be determined by a careful examination of that particular gun.

Ok--when the revo is manually cocked back and the half moon tab in the bottom of the frame engages the cylinder that to me determines the lock position. Doesnt the hand that rotates the cylinder is just there to facilitate that position. In the locked tab position there is only a small bit of rotational play. Does the tab and or half moon cut in the cylinder need the machine work. I need a book on revo for dummies. Thx

The hand rotates the cylinder into position, then remains up on the right side of the ratchet. The hand holds the cyl. from turning back

clockwise and the cylinder lock at the bottom holds it from going too far on around CCW. I prefer a small amount of play in the cyl.

when the hammer is cocked. Usually if it is tight, the cylinder is too far one way or the other. With a little bit of play, the bullet can

straighten up a thou or two of misalignment as it passes from the chamber throat into the barrel without straining anything. Also,

if it locks up tight, the trigger pull gets hard at the end where the hand is wedged between the frame and the ratchet. You can't

tell if the chambers are off by looking down the bore. The only way to know is with a range rod.

Home shop machinist magazine ran a series of articles last year by Steve Acker, one of the best custom gunsmith on just this topic. While the article was on line boring a Ruger the methods were applicable to any revolver. It was 6 of 7 issues most way over my or most other shooters ability. But well worth reading particularly is you are sending a revolver out to someone to have work done. I came away with a better understading of how it all works, fits problem areas etc.

Anybody really interested send me a message

Boats