Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Trimmer problems on 308 brass

I have a Dillon 1050 and 650. I also recently purchased a Dillon trimmer and the trimmer dies for 308. I have a real nice set up but: Fellas, I'm having serioius trouble trimming my LC 308 with consistency on both reloaders. Tonight while making adjustments, I destroyed the 308 trim die and cutting blade. I could not get the cutting blade low enough and then obviously got it too low and cut the top of the die. (yes, sparks flew and the casings are now coming out oblong or not even at the top) I thought about going to a single stage press to get the most accurate trim but trimming six or seven thousand pieces of brass on a single stage would take FOREVER. I purchased a bulk order of LC 308 brass and as you can see, this brass has been an ordeal for me. There has been a .008 difference in casings which I've been told is a lot. Thoughts? Advice? Do you think I should go to a single stage press? I'm not new to reloading but new to rifle brass and trimming.

ps. Be nice ...... it's been a hard week! lol

Edited by S-Hurt

Get Dillon on the phone and work the mechanical part of the problem out with them.

As for what to do in the mean time...well...there's always going to a Forester/RCBS/Sinclair trimmer. I'm playing with the Lee Zip Trim (a.k.a. outboard motor) and it seems to do the trick rather well.

Rich

I use the Dillon on all my LC 223 brass and it works great! Guy I borrowed it from also loaned me his 308 setup for it. Not sure how you would cut a die with it though? I use it on my single stage press but there is no special die I use with it. Just a shell holder and the trimmer sitting in the press. Hmmmm... I also have the Lee trimmer Rich, took way too long to trim brass. I have the Gracie I think sitting here for 223, but of course, I didn't like where they had the length set, soooooooo. Now it sits because I can't seem to get it setup properly again. May end up sending it back to them to have it set again to my length and pick up the 308 parts as well. It is a sweet setup and worked great when I got it. Trims and chamfers/deburrs inside and out all at once.

Steve

With the Dillon Case Trimer there is a very fine line between trimming cases and hitting the top on the die with the cutter, so you have to be VERY careful when adjusting the trim length.

once you get the trimmer close to trimming the correct length, you have to have all station that have dies populated with brass to get spot on consistency in the trim. takes some trial and error to fine tune the trimmer at that point, but near perfection can be had.

oh yea, having case lube on the cases is a must because the trim die is also a neck sizer (and keeps the cases from spinning with the trim cutter), so having lube on the cases will insure the depth the cases go into the die are consistent.

jj

I would also take a look at the carbide cutting tip. It may of have moved or was chipped when you contacted the die. This could cause an uneven trim. Also I assume that you have sized this brass previously. Since this die doesn't have a neck expander, sizing prior to trimming is important.

First off call Dillon.

The carbide cutter mis 3 sided, so just remove the motor, take an allen wrench and change the cutter to a differnt side of the triangle and you are good to go. I have found a lot of lube is needed for consistency. J.J. is right it is a fine line but it does work GREAT when all set up! Oh btw make sure you don't have a lot of wobble in the shell holder plate make sure the center holding bolt is down so the shell palte just bearly clicks into the next position on it,s own. KurtM