Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone had shoulder surgery?

Just had a bone spur removed from my shoulder, along with that they removed some arthritis from inside my clavicle and some other mess in my rotator cup.

I was just wondering if anyone else here had something similar done, and how long it was before you could shoot again.

I had a bone spur removed and a tear in my rotator cuff repaired. I was shooting handguns, 45 and 40, in 2 weeks and sighting in my 7mm mag in a month. No problems but i would talk to your doc.

Edited by sparks40

Without knowing the procedures envolved and the history of the patient, it is virtually impossible to predict the course of an individual's recovery. However, I've never known a surgeon who was not overly optimistic in estimating the duration of time required to reach full recovery. Ask your surgeon for an estimate and then double it. :blush:

In my case, I underwent total replacement of both shoulders (ie, titanium and teflon joints). It was a full year before I touched off a round in my open pistol. I still won't shoot 3-gun because of the shotgun...I just don't trust it to hold up under that level of repeated shock. But that's just me.

A-G

It is entirely dependent on what you have done and how your doctor thinks you are doing. I thought I was going to have a rotator cuff repair done Feb. 5th of this year. turns out the tendon wasn't a full thickness tear so there was no rotator cuff involvement. The surgeon removed a bone spur and did a relief cut to allow freer movement for the torn tendon. He also did some work on the A/C joint for some arthritis relief and cut loose, cleaned up and re-attached my long bicep tendon, all arthoscopically.One week later, he took me out of my sling and put a 5 lb restriction on lifting and told me to work on range-of-motion for three weeks. Ten days after surgery, I shot a match at an indoor range with my glock with the doctors blessing because of the two handed grip. It still hurts like the devil and Ibuprofen is my friend, but that is one example.

Above all, do what your doctor tells you.

fwiw

dj

Edited by dajarrel

Above all, do what your doctor tells you.

Be careful with that one...I listened to my doctor after knee surgery and had knee pain for 5 years. Then I did what he specifically told me not to do and my knee pain was gone inside of 1 month. Great orthopedic surgeon....great exercise physiologist? Not so much.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a full rotator cuff rebuild, tore it off both sides looked like a rubber band laying in the shoulder joint. Pinned back in place, works fine but,,,, no more 3 1/2" 12ga no 300 mag ect my 270 is as much as I try. I was told to be very careful because it could not be fixed again ever.