Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1A Scout Scope OEM Base

David Sinko

I came very close to buying a Sadlak scope mount for my SOCOM 16 but then my brother loaned me a used Bushnell 2-6x EER scope and a set of low rings. I had never tried the Scout Scope concept and figured I had nothing to lose. After my first range session I was astounded by the accuracy, since I ordinarily shoot aperture sighted rifles very well but for some reason struggled with the M1A. The cheap scope and rings work very well for now and I am willing to pay extra for a better scope and rings, but I confess that I have nagging doubts about Springfield's scout scope base. Just how good is it? Do they loosen up over time? I have never removed mine or actuallly taken a peek at how it is attached. I see a bunch of Allen screws and something that wraps around the barrel, but I don't know exactly how they do it. Does anybody have any long term experience, good or bad?

Dave Sinko

OPtics and M1-A don't mix.

EOTechs and others work somewhat well but usually only after the shooter invests in a SAGE type stock for his weapon.

Been down the M1-A as a sniper rifle mode...don't waste your time/heartache.

I love the M1-A but realize that it has a great battle rifle rep and a competitive rifle at CMP/highpower matches but if you want a scoped rifle get a rem-700 and bolt it!

The SAGE configured weapons do well with eotechs/acogs on them.

The recoil forces just tear the shite out of standard optics and various mounts.

A company called LRB located in Bellrose NY makes a receiver with the scope mount machined right into it.

You can try them.

Good luck with it.

JK

Have been shooting my M1a for 7 years now. the forward mount you talk about works fine as a scout scope mount or even with a red dot on it, beware of short battery life due to the heat though.

I shot a 1 1/2 x 5 burris Extended eye relief pistol scope on mine. It stayed zeroed even when hot (as far as I could tell) and had no problems with it. I do recomend you use a good quality scope though if you go down this road.

The red dot was really fun, and as long as you don't go past 200 yds it was competitive to a certain extent.

Hop

I used the new leatherwood/Hi Lux aluminium mount and it actually turned out to be bomb proof.

It came with good instructions and it was pretty adjustable during installation to ensure it was moutned square to the bore.

I sold the rifle after a year of owning it. I did take a white tail with it. The guy I sold it to also uses the mount and also shot a deer with it.

Its had a few hundred rounds through it with no problems.

The only problem with the scout scope idea is you completely lose all the benefit of then optic when it is a little dark in the morning and in the evening at twilight.

You can run a variable optic on low power and see really well when it is pretty dark out. Not so much with a scout scope idea.

If you want to take advantage of an optic with magnification it has to be near your eye except for under ideal conditions.

For a red dot the forward rail optic makes sense.