Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

firing pin question....

CDPMatt

Just cock the hammer and pull up on the broken part. If it has spring tension pushing it back down, then it is.

If it goes up and down freely both ways, it isn't. If it's a springy one, get a hammer nose and spring. The

spring could get lost when you take it apart, or could be worn out. Knock out the pivot pin, trade firing pins,

put the pin back in and flare the ends of the pin to retain it.

Here's a quick tip on replacing a hammer nose: The perfect tool for flaring the rivet on an old-style S&W hammer is the vise-grip-style tool marketed by Brownells for flaring the legs on a 1911 plunger tube.

Using that tool, a perfect staking job can be completed in about five seconds--squeeze, flip it over, squeeze again, and you're done!

It may not be worth buying the tool just for one hammer nose rivet, but if you like to mess with revos and 1911s, it's a good thing to have on the bench.

How do I go about telling that.... it's a M10-6.

Thanks,

CDPMatt, As Toolguy suggest you can check that way. My two model 10-7 have no spring. I believe that the K frames do not use a spring but the L & N frames do. And the Hammer noses are different for the L, N and K frames. Be sure to order the correct one and a hammer nose rivet. I have changed out a few and it is realatively easy, as Carmoney describes. Hope this is helpful. Later rdd