Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Iranian Air Traffic Control

outerlimits

dunno if this actually happened, but i had to post anyway.

In addition to communicating with the local Air Traffic Control facility, all aircraft in the Persian Gulf AOR are required to give the Iranian Air Defense Radar (military) a ten minute 'heads up' if they will be transiting Iranian airspace.

This is a common procedure for commercial aircraft and involves giving them your call sign, transponder code, type aircraft, and points of origin and destination.

I just flew with a guy who overheard this conversation on the VHF Guard (emergency) frequency 121.5 MHz while flying from Europe to Dubai . It's too good not to pass along.

The conversation went like this...

Iranian Air Defense Radar: 'Unknown aircraft you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'

Air Defense Radar: 'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States Marine Corps FA-18 fighter. Send 'em up, I'll wait!'

Air Defense Radar: (no response ... total silence)

Reminds me of a list I used to have with Pilot quips. One was something like this:

Tower to incoming Pan-Am Flight: Berlin approach, we will vector you in, and direct you to your gate. Have been here before?

Pilot to Tower: I have been here but last time it was at 25,000 feet, and dropping bombs.

Mark K.

Reminds me of a list I used to have with Pilot quips. One was something like this:

Tower to incoming Pan-Am Flight: Berlin approach, we will vector you in, and direct you to your gate. Have been here before?

Pilot to Tower: I have been here but last time it was at 25,000 feet, and dropping bombs.

Mark K.

That sounds a lot like one I heard about Japan Airlines on their first trip to Hawaii in 1954. The tower called the JAL flight and asked if they'd been to Hawaii before. The pilot's reply "I was here once before, but we didn't land". :lol: Probably not true, but funny!

Good one, also similar to the old ship story/joke:

Believe it or not...this is the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. The Radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on Oct. 10, 1995.

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

CND reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA*, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

CND reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

(according to the DOD & snopes it didn't really happen - just an old joke