Rolex

For all you lead slingers-

Who has the right info on

these two types of lead?

What one is harder, less prone

to leading- ect ect. Have you used

these two types? Looking for info

.45acp 230gr. How about coated? :mellow:

Swaged bullets are softer by a lot, if you can get a load cooked up that doesn't lead the barrel you won't find a more accurate bullet of any kind. Swaged bullets are typically just film lubed and it can be a challenge to shoot them without leading, but it is worth the effort if you get them to shoot.

Hard cast bullets are typically WAY too hard for 45 pressures, and the hard lube on commercial cast bullets sucks. It is tough to shoot them without leading unless you move to a mid speed powder. With a mid speed powder like 231 or Unique (my favorite lead bullet powder) they can shoot really well with little or no leading.

I don't use coated bullets so I won't comment.

Swaged bullets are usually softer than hard cast ones, although Precision Bullets are swaged from the same alloy hard cast bullets are made from. I've had good luck with swaged bullets (230 grain Zero RNLs) in my .45 ACP bottomfeeders, lousy results with the same ammo in my revolvers, and excellent results with swaged bullets in .38 Special.

I need to try some .454" cast bullets in my .45 ACP revolvers and see if the extra size helps with cutting down on leading...if they'll fit. ;)

I am finding that the Zero's are not

the correct ones to use in the 625-

for some reason they leave large

amounts of lead in the bl. using

4.0gr of Clays and do not shoot

them fast at all, yet they still lead

up? I have ordered 1k FMJ from

Zero but have been put on back

order for 3 weeks so far!

Since I tried Precision Bullets in my 625 I 've shot little else. Clean and accurate. Many hard cast bullets are too hard for 45acp pressures. The "tumble lubed" swaged bullets are messy but work very well in low pressure, low velocity loads. Slower powders help cast/lubed bullets shoot "clean" in a revolver. Revolvers can be finicky because of the case to throat, throat to forcing cone jumps.