Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Powders Meter Well?

DocHoliday

Hey Doc, For what it's worth, all powders meter well thru a good measure!

I don't load for .357Sig, but I do load with a number of different powders. By far the most consistant (metering & performance) is the VV line of powders. They are hard to find in many areas and they are initially expensive, but the ease of use and the lot-to-lot consistency make them a great value.

My next choice would be Win powders in the speed range that you need (read; slower). WW powders are much smokier and less consistant lot-to-lot than VV, but they do offer a good value in bulk.

Good luck in your search,

Glockn...

PS. Other resources for data are http://www.loadyourown.com and http://www.pistolsmith.com

Doc,

I do not shoot a pistol in .357 Sig....but may I suggest Hodgdon LongShot :)

I noticed that Hodgdon does have data for a 124gr., along with 147gr. bullets that would meet the current power factor with no problems.

This is a high density powder in the likes of TiteGroup or HS-6 & HS-7.

Buy a pound and develope a load and see? <_<

I've loaded about 5,000 rounds of .357 SIG with Ramshot True Blue. My load is 8.5 grains under a Montana Gold 125 JFP bullet using Speer brass and a Winchester primer. It's about a half a grain under Ramshot's listed max but still seems to be a stout load. Felt recoil is the same as the CCI/Speer Lawman FMJ load, which is what I was trying to duplicate.

True Blue meters well and burns clean. It may also be hard to find in some areas as it's a fairly new powder. I am pleased with the results I've gotten in the .357 and would recommend it highly.

Longshot also runs well in the .357 SIG but I haven't used too much of it and wouldn't recommend it without further first hand experience. I have used Longshot to make major in the .40 but wasn't pleased with its metering characteristics. But it may be that it'd meter fine with an increased charge weight. My load for the .40 is 5.4 grains with a 200 cast RN running at about 850 fps.

The smallest powder I have seen to date is AA#2. good powder too but they sell it in 4# instead of 8# and its more expensive so I use Titegroup!

With #2 if you leave the primer out the powder will sift through the hole as fast as it goes in.

Kinda looks like about .5mm-.7mm BBs IIRC

Little bitty and it meters fantastic!

Larry P