Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airport Security

CSEMARTIN

A few months ago, my wife and son went home to visit her parents. She was traveling alone, running late and she had her hands full. Frustrated by lines, long waits and a screaming baby, she was stopped by security. They went through all of her things- including the diaper bag. A man with a towel wrapped around his head went right through. I don't get it! Shouldn't the security guys concentrate on those that are more likely to cause a problem, or are we too afraid of offending someone with the idea of profiling?

I think our security "experts" at the TSA could learn alot from the way El Al airlines does it. They make no bones about it, if your middle-eastern or look like you might cause trouble, you WILL get searched and questioned. After a couple hours of questioning, then you may or may not be allowed to board the plane, it depends on how they feel and I agree with that 100 percent. In the states, our airline security system, for the most part, is a joke.

Rufus,

You hit the nail right on the head. Recently, on a trip to Vegas Wakal and I were going through security at the airport. The security guard went through my carry-on with gloved hands looking for a pair of "pointy scissors." The deadly pointy scissors? :ph34r: A pair of sewing scissors used to remove seams and cut embroidery floss. He held them up like true contraband. I gave them to his partner who wanted to know where she could get cool embroidery kits. B) I would rather she had them vice the pile of crap they go through later to see what cool stuff they can pick up. <_<

Wakal, to his credit, only told the security guy to be careful of those deadly 1-inch pointy assault scissors, they might poke his eye out if he ran with them. :P

At the Hoover Dam, they will not let you in with a knife they can see. Hubby had to take his back up to the car. Ones they can't see hanging on your pants???? Why, come right in, sir! :blink: Security??!!! Snort! My bottom. :angry:

Liota

Not to mention the fact that, on my car trip to ESC 2003 range location (some 600 Km from my home), I spent half of the driving time on the phone with Rome Leonardo da Vinci Airport Police and Security, since a shotgun belonging to a finnish competitor was "lost" and they were sending this guy back and forth all over the airport from one office to the next. :angry: