Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Might be cold, but I'm going for a ride!

Matt Cheely

FZ1! Nice bike - I love the naked bikes :D

i see this alot around here and have often wondered about this... im assuming "naked" refers to taking the plastic coverings off? what is the reasoning here, cosmetic or functional???

Naked refers to a bike without all the plastic fairing BS you see on most of the sportbikes out today. Matt's new bike has a small half-fairing, but I still call it a naked bike. Generally, bikes that start with a full fairing, but then have it removed for various reasons fit into the 'streetfighter' category. Most of the naked bikes sold today are similar to their sportbike cousins, but with some very import changes, usually different cams tuned for more midrange (usable) power/torque, and a more upright seating position for all around comfort. So they are comfy, they go, they handle, and they look like a motorcycle should :D

sorry for the drift Matt

No problem with the drift.

I was expecting this bike to be more comfortable than a "crotch rocket", but the wind blast coming off the windscreen is killing me. First modification is a taller windscreen. I think it would be more comfortable if there wasn't a fairing on the bike at all!

I LOVE that style bike. My last was a Duc 750ss. Its been over 10 years now and I still get all emotional about that one. The shop that sold it to me started it indoors. I wrote the check instantly.

Enjoy the hell out of that ride! They're great.

I was expecting this bike to be more comfortable than a "crotch rocket", but the wind blast coming off the windscreen is killing me. First modification is a taller windscreen. I think it would be more comfortable if there wasn't a fairing on the bike at all!

Noise or head/upper body buffeting? Some helmets are just plain loud. I spent a good chunk of change on a Shoei RF1000 only to find it is super loud on my bike. A taller windscreen should help with either problem.

Noise or head/upper body buffeting? Some helmets are just plain loud. I spent a good chunk of change on a Shoei RF1000 only to find it is super loud on my bike. A taller windscreen should help with either problem.

I like my RF1000 but it's not a quiet helmet. BUT it is well ventilated and for me that matters a great deal.

Yes, a taller windscreen should help.

Remember to wear earplugs.

I like my RF1000 but it's not a quiet helmet. BUT it is well ventilated and for me that matters a great deal.

Yes, a taller windscreen should help.

Remember to wear earplugs.

The helmet isn't that loud (it's a TZ-R), but the buffeting of my head is bad. If I stand up on the bike and get my head in the clean air, it's fine.

Even a small change in upper body position can change that (i.e. different bars) - if the taller screen doesn't help, you can always try one of those stick on dorsal fin helmet spoilers :D A friend of mine said his worked great, but I don't remember which one he had. I tried one for when the significant other rides with me (her lid makes mine buffet horribly), but there was no change - not sure anything (short of a goldwing) can help that turbulence/pressure difference.