Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding Frenzy

Rob Boudrie

Every January, a handful of USPSA members and non-USPSA members of the local gun club staff a USPSA table (offering an intro course to our sport) and a table for the club. We generally get 2-3 people to join the local club in the weeks following the match and fill our course.

This time, it was quite different:

1. Main parking lot full; overflow parking lot full; access road to the overflow lot curbside parking full; office building parking lot next door full (normally there is plenty of room in the overflow lot)
  2. Crowds so thick you sometimes had to walk edgeways to move
  3. Restroom lines extending out the door (I've never seen that before)
  4. 8 "on the spot" club memberships sold; 5 additional ones sold at the club the next Monday; several more expected the following Monday
  5. Loads of interest in the USPSA class - I've already received two registrations in the mail the Tuesday after the show and expect quite a few more
  6. Met several people wanting to learn how to get a handgun license (this is MA) - not gun owners attending the show because they are nervous.

The show was a madhouse - Obama and Holder have really energized quote a few people.

Very interesting....FWIW, attendance at our last few local matches has been up 20-25% with much of that increase being new shooters.

Has there been a broad increase in classifiers and/or new memberships?

Edited by double_pedro

I generally run a class for Concealed Carry Permits every other month. Since the election I have filled a class every month and was forced this month to turn away shooters.

I beleive there is a nationwide pool of people who have been sitting in the shadows and have finally choosen to step forward.

The bad news is not enough of them stepped forward last fall. In my claases I'm also recruiting a lot of people into the NRA... I'm still only getting about 25% largely because of the economy. Here's the math in MI

Very moderatly priced pistol $300 - $500

Training required for license $125 - $175

Five Year license fee $115

Total $540 $790

Adding in holster ammo etc etc. it can reach $1,000 pretty quickley which is out of the reach of many families right now.

Edited by MichiganShootist

Central FL Rifle and Pistol Club (CFRPC) is considering running a USPSA event TWICE monthly now, since the matches are attracting 80-90 shooters every month. We're running 6 stages with 15+ people per stage! The new-shooters briefing usually has 4-8 people every month.

Jeff

FWIW, attendance at our last few local matches has been up 20-25% with much of that increase being new shooters.

I know "talking up" our competitions on a regional/local shooting Web forum has been a useful way of expanding the pool, d_p. I'm sure that will work elsewhere in the country, too, where that opportunity exists. The USPSA guys tend to fill up any Competition forum on shooting boards and their enthusiasm is contagious.

I'm a regular at our local sheriff's range on the two days a week it's open to the public...whenever some newcomer expresses interest in competition, they point 'em in my direction for the spiel and offers to help with some reloading or Glock tips.

Bringing a new shooter into the sport and seeing them become regulars at the matches is as rewarding as shooting a "clean" match.

Somebody exposed me to USPSA shooting in the same way three or four years back...I always view it as returning the favor.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide