Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to reloading

wilson4tw

Greetings to you all I must say first. Just got into USPSA single stack. I just bought a wilson CQB Elite, 550b, and clays for powder. I would like to know how much powder I need to use to get 170-175 PF.

ATM I have 1k of 185 lswc to shoot up first, then I will be switching to 200gr. From what I have gleaned from the forums here is anywhere from 3.6 to 4.1 grains of Clays. I am using winchester brass and primers. I am using plain Clays, not universal or anything else.

Welcome Wilson!!

In my Kimber with 200gr SWC's I needed about 4.0 to make major but, every gun is different. I would start at 3.5 or 3.6 and work up from there. Do you have a chronograph? If not, I would recommend buying or borrowing one to work up your loads. They are worth every penny!!

Thomas

There is nothing wrong with taking the powder manufacturer's loading data as a guide. Check their starting loads and work from there.

I have been looking around for loads pertaining to the 185 lswc and no luck so far, unless you take into account hollow points etc. I have searched these forums and others, but it ranges quite a bit. I am currently loading 4 gr of Clays behind the 185.

A person at work has a meter, but I will have to wait a week or more to see where I am at. I am just trying to load up enough for a match to see how things go first, then make my adjustments from there. From what I have read, HP or anything jacketed for that matter uses a different amount of powder.

you'll find that lead bullets will give you a little more velocity that jacketed....if I was going to reload for a match, I would want to try it out first for functioning, and second, to see if it made major

if it is a local match, just go with the load that you know works...no one is going to give a new shooter a hard time over power factor as long as it is not being gamed (intentionally shooting minor and claiming major)

just go out there with a load you know works and have fun

Hello: I think you will be needing about 4.5grains of Clays with those 185 grain lead bullets. Thanks, Eric

I don't have my book with me but I think I load 4.5 of Clays @2.2 - 2.21 in my 5" Schuemann Ultimatch for ~168 using Lasercast 185s.

Hello: I think you will be needing about 4.5grains of Clays with those 185 grain lead bullets. Thanks, Eric

I don't have my book with me but I think I load 4.5 of Clays @2.2 - 2.21 in my 5" Schuemann Ultimatch for ~168 using Lasercast 185s.

OK, atm I have loaded 175 rounds, just enough for a match.

winchester brass

win large primers

185 lswc

4 grains of clays

oal = 1.27

I have checked the crimp and it is about five thousand's less than the case itself. .471 I think.

the main reason I made this post was because of the variations in powder levels, even though I read alot of forums prior. Just checked out your laser cast's, and thats high for 1k. I paid 60 per 1k. Looks like a am going to chrono hehe !!