Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Raul Walters dies at 68

Mike Benedict

For those who did not hear one of the original IPSC shooters Raul Walters died Wednesday

Raul Walters is survived by his wife, Vicki Walters, daughters Wendy Walters and Stacy Walters Cobb, son-in-law Daniel Cobb, and two grandchildren, Zachary and McKenzie Cobb.

For those who did not hear one of the original IPSC shooters Raul Walters died Wednesday

Raul Walters is survived by his wife, Vicki Walters, daughters Wendy Walters and Stacy Walters Cobb, son-in-law Daniel Cobb, and two grandchildren, Zachary and McKenzie Cobb.

Old School; Iowa lost one of it's best.

FM

First saw him shoot at the 80 Natls in Virginia...man he was fast..don't know if he was just gifted or well practiced, but he could really burn...IIRC, he finished in the top 20 even after crashing the mover stage with several mikes after having to shoot it 3 times in a row due to mechanical problems..

Great shooter, he'll be missed.

I used to shoot in the old MPPL (Midwest Practical Pistol League) with Raul in the mid-late 70's. Some of you may not know that he's responsible in large part for the Chapman Academy. His close friend, Dick Thomas was the moving force behind the original IPSC Columbia conference in 1976. He and Hachathorne were buds and convinced Jeff to convene the conference. The reason that it was conducted in Columbia, MO was because Dick and Raul were there and made a central location available for everyone. Dick and Raul formed a business relationship, bought the land and set up the original Chapman Academy. The first class that Ray held (which I was fortunate enough to be in)--Ray was still commuting from California. Ray moved to Columbia and after a couple of years he and Dick and Raul had some disagreements and decided to split the blanket. It was awkward for awhile as Dick, Raul, Andy Langley and Ken Hackathorne formed a seperate organization called "Personal Safety" (or something like that) and also held classes at the Chapman Academy for awhile.

Raul was a real race-horse--very competitive and extremely talented. I understand that he moved to California after the loss of one of his kids. I'd like to know anything about his passing, if any of you have info.

Raul was a real race-horse--very competitive and extremely talented. I understand that he moved to California after the loss of one of his kids. I'd like to know anything about his passing, if any of you have info.

Early shoot me and email Mike@talontactical.com or give me a call 7707375054