Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the extreme velocity spreads your getting?

thefiremeister

Think of the spread in % points more than FPS

my load at 1400 fps with a 30 fps spread is -almost- the same as a load of 900 fps with a 20 fps spread

60 is more than most of us would like -is it just one that drops it off? is the brass similar ? do you know how many times and what guns it was shot in?

If I shot my 40 brass two or three times in my Auto and thin shot it in my revolver :wacko: the accuracy and the fps were crazy. I had to keep my brass separate

diff pices of brass can be diff thickness and cause the crimp to change a bunch = it is a bigger problem with "plated" bullets from Berry or Ranner

Oh and that is a big spread , but sometimes I would get that high = when I did I would look at the brass to see if it looked diff. or the primer looked diff. I would look over all the rest of the lot to be changed.

IF you only loaded 10 to 20 rounds on a Dillion style powder drop after changing -That most likely would be it. my Dillion powder mes. allways take 10 + rounds to settle before I get consistine drops.

I will take out the first few and only crono loads that are 20 rounds into a batch of 100 . For a match I will take out the first 100 rounds that I have loaded and only use the next 200 to 300 for the match. The first 100 are for function fire the day before or week before the match.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I'll look at my data again. I was only shooting 6 rounds at a time while I was trying to work up some loads for major.

My brass was mixed but most of it was speer that had been shot out of my gun.

I'm using 7.2 grns of Accurate # 5 right now with MG 180 gn bullets. I was getting a PF of 167 with that load. I had figured my spread was wide and I'll have to work on that.

Your points are good ones. I was short cutting things a little by using mixed brass. I know better but was trying to get out while the weather held. I must have saved maybe 5 min.