Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag changes

rtg

When you shoot the stages are they set that you do the mag change between them or do you just have to count shots?

I count during the walkthrough.

In production, they're crucial. We're gluttons for punishment.

In Limited, you need to consider it.

In Open, you'll have one load on some courses at local matches. None on the rest. Reloads? Meh.

So, I guess my answer is 'sort of' on round counting. I count, but not while pulling the trigger. On mag changes, you SHOULD be able to shoot, load and move, shoot, load and move, etc. But sometimes, extra shots require a standing reload. It's important to remember those situations, because you need to focusing totally on racking up Alphas when you get there. Example:

Start by breaking the stage down. First: How do you move through it so that you're in the final position as soon as possible, and second: Will you have to reload while standing? (Answering yes to #2 means you usually need a new plan)

* If there are 3 paper and a steel over here, then I have 4 'extra' shots before going to slide-lock (7 required, start 10+1). If I pull a shot on the 7-round array, I'll make it up immediately.

* Then I may run (and reload) to another array with 5 distant paper targets. Now I know I only have one round to spare, so REALLY need to bear down on that sight picture. One miss or make-up will mean a slide-lock reload while leaving. A second bad shot will require a standing load to make up. Neither is good. Focus on shooting clean in those situations. Then, when your're sick of losing, expand that mindset to the entire stage. :D

Edited by MemphisMechanic

First I look the stage and decide where is the best palace to reload.

Second I count the shots during the walkthrough for that place.

Third I want 2-3 extra rounds left for makeup shots just in case before I do the reload.

Fourth I count extra shot which I fired so I don't fire my gun empty.

Fifth I hope for the best.

With Limited I look for a gap or transition to another bank of targets that gives me room to execute a reload. I always want to go into the next bank/engagement with the gun full, up and level with my face and muzzle pointing in their direction (w/o breaking the 180) when I get there. I also do this with Limited 10 and Production.

The key for me is to keep busy preparing, moving and setting up for the next engagement during the course of fire, so my reloads are generally dictated by the gaps between target(s) engagements and the amount of rounds in those banks.

I generally don't count rounds as I'm shooting, I just usually make sure I do my reloads during those gaps/transitions.

I just usually make sure I do my reloads during those gaps/transitions.

That's good advise. In Single Stack, it's kinda crucial! ...engage array of three paper targets. Reload while shifting to the next array. Engage those...repeat. When done, follow the trail of mags back to the start...

I just usually make sure I do my reloads during those gaps/transitions.

That's good advise. In Single Stack, it's kinda crucial! ...engage array of three paper targets. Reload while shifting to the next array. Engage those...repeat. When done, follow the trail of mags back to the start...

Well in single stack you have to reload all the time :roflol: I shoot open so I can choose where is best place for me to do reload.