Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

humidity in reloading room

colbyjack

well got the reloading room set up in the basement. i have a dehumidifier down there too. i just bought a little humidity/temp gauge. just courious to what i need to keep it under. think under 40% would work or do i need it 30%? just courioius cause didnt know if itd effect the powder or primers. -chris

well got the reloading room set up in the basement. i have a dehumidifier down there too. i just bought a little humidity/temp gauge. just courious to what i need to keep it under. think under 40% would work or do i need it 30%? just courioius cause didnt know if itd effect the powder or primers. -chris

Gosh, I hope 40% humidity is OK. I live on the Gulf Coast where 40% humidity sends everyone running for the saline nose spray. I load in the un-airconditioned second floor of my 1920 house. Typical humidity is around 70%, often higher. I keep the powder and primers in the original containers, mostly.

I've not had a problem in the three years that I have been reloading. :cheers:

WM

This and related questions have been asked before (a search should turn up some interesting threads).

In brief, there won't be major effects on loading operations or load ballistics. Primers are indifferent to storage conditions, short of actually getting them wet. Powders stored in air tight containers should be fine under any but the most extreme temp variations over long periods, and most of us rotate stock so frequently that lot to lot variations are more a concern than change in any single container.

Powder stored in open containers, say, in a measure in your press, may change in moisture content with humidity, but I've yet to hear anybody using loads in sports such as ours noting any significant change in load performance. Humidity might be a factor with static electricity - not so much in terms of static discharge and ignition so much as bridging of the powder in the measure.

I don't think that 10% difference in relative humidity will have any effects on components, especially if you store unused powder in airtight containers. If you have erratic powder drops that you think may be due to static electricity, try searching on static electricity or powder bridging.

Don't store powder in your press. If the powder is very dry.. and you load it into cartridges... it will be fine. Inside the sealed powder container and inside the sealed cartridge.. it will gather no moisture. Just store your powder well and after loading ammo.. store it well.

As a former Houston resident.. I know this as a fact. 90%+ humidity year round is the norm and I reloaded in my garage with no problems.