Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone had Springfield Armory custom shop work on your barrel?

Hack

Has anyone had Springfield Armory custom shop work on your barrel?

I'm sending my XD45 slide to SA to have them install a set of Heinie Pro Slant Straight 8 sights for $105 and that includes the sights.

On the form to accompany any custom work, I also see that SA will:

Install Springfield Custom match barrel ($190)

or

Refit existing factory barrel for match grade accuracy ($105)

Has anyone done either of the above?

I wonder if the match barrel is worth the $85 more than the refitted barrel?

Thanks

Hack

Would they want to whole gun (not just the slide) to fit a barrel?

If so, that likely jumps your costs up a whole bunch for the special shipping.

That I don't know, I have to call and ask. But you're certainly right about adding to my costs.

Hack

Edited by Hack

Not to Springfield but I did need to have a smith run a chamber reamer in to get the chamber withing specs. From the factory it was a bit undersized (reamer apparently used on too many barrels) and was the cause of a curious malfunction every 100-300 rounds or so. Bring the chamber to specs. and all is well with the world.

Get somebody to do the Straight 8's locally, it's no big deal, and also save yourself a lot of shipping costs.

What's the supposed accuracy improvement from an a barrel with "match grade accuracy" according to folks you shoot with? I would suggest the money be spent on bullets and components.

I had Springfield do the trigger, sights and refit the bbl on my XD9 service. It was not accurate within 5 inches at 20 yards from a rest as stock. Upon return it will do 2-2.5 depending on ammo but doesn`t very much in accuracy no matter what I feed it now. They did not charge me return shipping. XD had only about 500 rds when I sent it in. No problems since. However it cost me $1 more than the gun.

The Springfield Custom Shop has a really good reputation. Dave Williams runs it. (His wife is Debbie Williams, the person in charge of sposnsorships for matches, She's a good lady to know). I believe they do all the custom work on Robbie's guns and have been doing most of the work for the FBI HRT and SWAT teams for awhile. I felt some of the XD's they had on display at SHOT and was very impressed. Not sure where you are located but Springer Precision in Oregon and Canyon Creek in Illinois also do great work.

The Springfield Custom Shop has a really good reputation. Dave Williams runs it. (His wife is Debbie Williams, the person in charge of sposnsorships for matches, She's a good lady to know). I believe they do all the custom work on Robbie's guns and have been doing most of the work for the FBI HRT and SWAT teams for awhile. I felt some of the XD's they had on display at SHOT and was very impressed. Not sure where you are located but Springer Precision in Oregon and Canyon Creek in Illinois also do great work.

I'm in Columbus, GA and I've about decided to get just the Heinie Straight 8 sights, and leave the barrel alone. I just don't want to pay to get UPS or FedEx to ship it overnight, if the whole gun is needed to do the barrel.

I rather just send the slide for the sights - lot cheaper shipping costs.

Hack

Edited by Hack

Yep, you guys were right. To do the barrel they need the whole gun. It shoots good as it is. I sent only the slide for the sights. I looking forward to getting it back.

Plus, I hope the installed sights are not impossible to drift - like the stock sights were. I never could budge them and I was afraid I'd mess up my slide if I tried cutting them out myself.

Hack