Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have had 2 back surgerys the first was a lamnectomy (Not sure I spelled that right) did not really work. The pain in my legs was gone for a year or 2 then back but worse; eventually numbness in both legs with severe pain and finally to the point I could not walk. 2nd surgery was disc removed bone graphs put in place and cobalt rods from the base to the middle of my back. I sold my competition guns before the surgery thnking I would be like most people afterwards and not be able to shoot anymore. But a year later back in the game and doing as good as ever. I have some back pain from nerve damage but that is not very often. The best things to do for your back is ice, do a lot of walking at a good steady pace for at least 20 minutes, do not ever bend over, squat with your as forest gump would say with you buttocks sticking out, epidural blocks on the back as often as they will let you for 1 year and the chances of not havg to have back surgery is better. Some people do well just doing these things and then some are like me and have to go the full route. A neural surgen is a good choice, micro surgery is the only way to go and if the surgeon you go to cant do that then find someone else. My first surgeon told me he was doing something like microscopic but when I woke up I had a 5 inch scare and I think thats where most of my problems came from after the first surgery. I have been dealing with back problems for a long time so if you need some advice or just need to talk to someone feel free to email and I can call and talk.

Been there, done that and got the tee-shirt (well, actually a small scar) to prove it. That was over 15 years ago.

I originally hurt mine shoveling snow while still in Wisconsin. I re-injured it several times over the subsequent five years with each time being a little worse as the bulge became larger. It was pressing on my sciatic nerve and causing pain in both legs. I did not have any numbness which is the thing that my docs were most concerned about.

I had a very good surgeon. He made me try lengthy physical therapy first which unfortunately did not work although it slightly reduced the pain. I eventually had surgery. By that time I couldn't sit for more than a few minutes and even went through meetings in the office laying on my back. I couldn't move in my sleep without groaning so loud that I woke my wife. Flying in a plane was torture and the act of sneezing was pure agony. I finally agreed to the surgery when I was reduced to crawling out of bed in the mornings.

The discectomy surgery was a complete success. The doc said while it wasn't the largest rupture he'd ever seen I'd made the top 10% (I think that makes me a Master! :rolleyes: ) I was in less pain two days after the surgery than the morning I went in. I was back to work in a little over three weeks, resuming my normal physical regimen in six weeks and totally healed after a year. In hindsight, I wish I had done it a good two years earlier. I would never be able to participate in our sport in the shape my back was in back then.

I slightly re-injured it by lifting a too heavy object a few years later but the disc was back to normal after a few weeks of rest. I've made sure to not make that same mistake again ever since. Other than that one incident I've been free of pain since unless I really overdo the stress on my back.

My surgeon's advice was right on. Try the PT first and even medication before resorting to surgery. Any approach that is non-invasive is preferable to cutting on your back. However, if it comes to that there are many success stories out there including mine. In addition, I'm sure the surgical procedures have improved over that past 15 years.

Good luck! I know just how painful and debilitating a back injury can be.

Edited by XD Niner

Just got back from the Neurosurgeon. They state there is a large bulged disk at L5-S1. Luckily there is little pain but the numbness and weakness in the leg is still there. It is getting a little better all the time and the surgeon feels something will need to be done in the future, but to leave things as they are for 3-4 more weeks to see if it keeps getting better is a good option.

It was an interesting conversation, finding out age, genetics, overall health, regular sleep patterns, eating properly, smoking, etc.. all play a large part in how spinal disks hold up to lifes pressures.

So it was nice to see that overall things should be good for now. I also now know what to expect with any future surgery that may be required.

No more jogging or lifting of heavy weights. Walking, eliptical machine, swimming, riding bike (other than the mountain type bikes), 3-gun shooting, yoga, etc.. are all good.

Chief,

Got a great Neuro surgeon if you need one.

Nancy Epstein..head of neuro at North Shore hospital here in Nassau county, NY

Had 2 bad discs 10 years ago and she fixed me right up.

Hurt my back again and now have 2 more bad discs but not bad enough to warrant surgery.

Good luck with it I feel your pain.

I would stay away from Orthos and Chiro. Both of these fields almost crippled me.

I know there s good and bad in every field...I ran into 2 winners when I had my original injury in 98.

JK

Ouch...sorry to hear when anyone hurts their back.

I ruptured L5-S1 a long time ago. (L=lumbar vertebrae of which there are 5 and L5 is the bottom one. S=sacral vertebrae S1 is the top of the sacroiliac which is the joint at the base of your spine that connects the spine to your pelvis) hmmm...not a doctor but my understanding only...

I had that disc removed when I was about 23 years old...then I returned to work and injured it again several years later.(along with C4-5, T4-5, L2-3)

I think I should have been more careful and not rode dirt bikes and water skiing and stuff. :unsure:

After many years of pain, drugs, therapy, and recommendations of surgery, I still have numbnesss in my leg and foot.(Radiculopathy)

But lately, I have been exercising a bunch and I do go in every 10 weeks for my steroid shot. (I look forward to the shot although it only lasts a few weeks)

No high impact aerobics! But light impact jazzercise and weight training. I got the most positive results from strengthening my stomach muscles.

This has allowed me to get back to shooting...woohoo! :wub:

But my back hurts every day.

Take care of your body you only get 1

make sure you get a second opinion, and Cortisone isn't a permanent fix.. their not even supposed to use it regularly, it has negative effects if used too much. Physical therapy is essential as well.

I had an L5 - S1 rupture. Doc wanted suregery right away but I forced him to let me try PT and shots. I never made it to the shots though. The pain got so bad I just went straight to the OR. After my surgery he told me massage would be great for the problem.

Moral of the story... follow the doctors advice. If they say wait then wait and do everything you are supposed to and stay away from the "just once won't kill me" mind set. If the doc wants to go in and fix it, let them. I had my surgery in the morning and that night I felt better than I had in months! I was up cooking and cleaning that night. (probably shouldn't have) but I felt so good I did! Had I known I was going to feel so much better I would have had the surgery a month before I did.

I was in a lot of pain prior to surgery for months along with the numbness and tingling down my left leg. Everyone that I have talked to that has had disk problems say that once one goes it probably won't be your last one so don't think just because you get this fixed it will never happen again. Disks are very funny things I have found. Maybe I will start work on finding a way to make an artificial one to replace them . Hell if they can replace a heart why not a disk... right?

Edited by glockaholic