Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Couple of quick questions

Hey all. Got the new 550 going this week and had a few minor problems/questions.

But let me say the thing seems to be a fine piece of equipment. Loading 9mm w/wsp

1. Do I need to lube this thing right out of the box? Worked fine, just curious.

2. I had two out of 100 primers fail to seat all the way, one went about half way the other just barely went in.

a. I loosened the shell plate to get these boogers out. Is that the only way?

b. Cause? Brass not military. Could I just be too afraid to push harder. They were way tighter than the other 98. I know one was a winchester brass.

c. How hard is too hard? I don't mind throwing them away but it sure jams everything up for awhile, what with clearing the shell plate and all. I just see alot of the pro's on here saying to NEVER force a primer.

d. could I have just been "limp wristing"?

3. What is the best way to get a new primer out of the cup? I used a toothpick (gently)

4. I had some occasional powder bar "chatter" on the return. Normal? Problem?

Other than these minor bugs oal stayed very consistent, powder charge stayed right on, crimp was good, glock bulges gone, all passed case guage.

Thanks in advance

Hey all. Got the new 550 going this week and had a few minor problems/questions.

But let me say the thing seems to be a fine piece of equipment. Loading 9mm w/wsp

1. Do I need to lube this thing right out of the box? Worked fine, just curious. (Should be okay for a bit)

2. I had two out of 100 primers fail to seat all the way, one went about half way the other just barely went in.

a. I loosened the shell plate to get these boogers out. Is that the only way? (Move the ram up) :P

b. Cause? Brass not military. Could I just be too afraid to push harder. They were way tighter than the other 98. I know one was a winchester brass. Crimped pocket most likely

c. How hard is too hard? I don't mind throwing them away but it sure jams everything up for awhile, what with clearing the shell plate and all. I just see alot of the pro's on here saying to NEVER force a primer.

d. could I have just been "limp wristing"? (Don't force it for awhile... after a time you will get to know what you can do and not.)

3. What is the best way to get a new primer out of the cup? I used a toothpick (gently) (I use the back of a screwdriver and just give the bar a little tap. (Don't run the primer tube dry and you won't have to deal with upside down primers)

4. I had some occasional powder bar "chatter" on the return. Normal? Problem? (Yes, mine did until it seated... make sure you don't have to much tension on the failsafe rod though too)

Other than these minor bugs oal stayed very consistent, powder charge stayed right on, crimp was good, glock bulges gone, all passed case guage.

Thanks in advance

Edited by JThompson

Sorry JT I am still trying to figure out how to quote individual sentences.

As far as getting the primered cases out by lifting the ram only one would come out that way. The other one as I said is just barely in so it sticks way out and won't clear the shell plate.

How does running the primer tube dry result in upside down primers? I ended up with primers in the cup right side up because there is no way to shut them off.

As far as getting the primered cases out by lifting the ram only one would come out that way. The other one as I said is just barely in so it sticks way out and won't clear the shell plate.

When I have the occasional stuck case (sometimes high primer, sometimes a case gets crooked and jammed on the shell plate), I insert the short end of a 3/8" allen wrench into the case and pop it out. Much safer that putting your finger on a primed and jammed case.

Also, give those shooting glasses double duty and wear them while reloading. Protect those peepers.

Bill

edited to add: Also useful is an old toothbrush. Does a nice job of replacing that toothpick for pulling primers out of the various nooks and crannies. I also keep a can of Duster cleaner, the cans of compressed air to clean keyboards and such. Real handy when you've spilled a little powder and want to clean the press.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Being safe is smart. Don't push harder than you are comfortable. Don't force anything that probably shouldn't be forced.

However, primers aren't made of glass. They won't break if you drop them. They aren't radioactive.

Sometimes I'm surprised people are willing to use flip-trays, considering how afraid they are to touch the primers in the press...