Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Space needed for a RL550b

njl

I emailed this question to Dillon support and actually never heard back from them.

If I wanted to mount a 550b on a strong mount inside a cabinet (so it can be hidden behind doors when not in use), how tall/deep/wide a space in the cabinet do I need to be able to properly operate and adjust the machine? My main concern is the height.

Not sure how much the strong mount raises the press, but according to Dillon, the 550B requires 35" above the bench without the Strong Mount. You'll need a minimum of 20" width and 12" or so front to back, depending upon how much space the mounts take. Mine is mounted directly to the bench, so, sorry if this isn't what you needed.

Alan~^~

Foot print of the strong mount: 11" deep x 13" wide

Space for strong mount with all bins attached: 16" deep x 20" wide

Top of the powder measure is 29" above the bench.

However, you need 39" clearance (above the bench surface) to get the primer fill tubes in plac above the primer magazine.

You'll need 42" clearance (above the bench surface) to insert the primer follower rod (part of the mechanism that beeps when your primers get low). The tube will bend somewhat. You may be able to get away with 39" clearance for that as well.

These measurements come from my 550B, with a strong mount, as it currently sits on my bench. It would be nice to have additional space on either side for getting the bins on/off when they're full of components or loaded ammo.

Any questions, feel free to ask for some other dimension or specific.

Just to add to frandoc's specs, The clearance needed for the primer tubes and follower is only about 3" or so from the front of the shelf. Remember to mount the loader an inch or so off the front edge to allow any doors to close since it sticks out some from the strong mount in front.

A few other things that worked for me:

I mounted a set of lights on the wall to the left of the loader. It lights up the powder drop station like New York City.

I mounted my 550B more to the left side of my meager 48" bench in order to have room on the right side to do odds and ends like lubing brass, weighing, measuring, boxing, etc. I just left enough room on the left side to have plenty of elbow room. It just woorked for me to do most chores on the right side. The point being, mounting in the center of a small bench (cabinet) gives no room on either side to work.

Hope this helps

Hello I am new to the forum and will receive my Dillon 550 b tomorrow.

My concern is the depth needed. Can I get buy with 12inches or do I need the 16 as suggested when bins are attached.

I ordered the strong mount. My room is very narrow and I already have another work bench. So 4 inches will make a big

difference to me. I have plenty of height and width.

I will appreciate any input.

Thank you

Sweettooth

"Depth" - as in front-to-back - is as listed above. There's nothing that sticks out the back of the loader.

The bins on the strong mount are on each side, the brass bin sticks out the front of the right-hand mount.

Mine has a tool bracket that attaches to the back platform, but it's for allen wrenches that dont' affect the front-to-back dimension of the whole assembly.

Enjoy the new Dillon. Careful set-up takes a while but, after that, it's plug-and-play.

"Depth" - as in front-to-back - is as listed above. There's nothing that sticks out the back of the loader.

The bins on the strong mount are on each side, the brass bin sticks out the front of the right-hand mount.

Mine has a tool bracket that attaches to the back platform, but it's for allen wrenches that dont' affect the front-to-back dimension of the whole assembly.

Enjoy the new Dillon. Careful set-up takes a while but, after that, it's plug-and-play.

Thanks Doc thats what I needed to know to start construction .

Sweettooth

Edited by sweettooth