Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W with SDB

sperman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using a SDB for loading .40's for over 12 years and what I do is load all the loads I need then case gauge them. The ones that don't gauge correctly, I run them through a Lee resizer die with the decapping rod removed. It's a pain and an extra step but that's the price you pay for using a SDB unless you upgrade to a 550, 650 or 1050.

Haven't tried one but it looks interesting.....Redding- Push through die...

I just got one of these and it arrived tonight!!! I've been using bulged brass for some time and I've been struggling with 2 to 3% of my loads being rejected by the case guage and then another 10% of those being rejected by the barrel. I use Redding Competition dies. I ran about 1,000 pieces of brass through the G-Rx tonight in about an hour. All of the brass I tested dropped right into a case guage (before the reloading process) so I think they'll be fine. The first batch is in the tumbler now and will get loaded later this week. If this G-Rx works like it appears to it will eliminate all of my waisted time on loading bulged brass!!!

I was considering using an undersized "U" Lee die in a pass through application as shown on this youtube video.

It seemed to me it would be a step above the EGW flared die (which uses the Lee "U" die) since it would pass over the entire case. Here is the reply I received from Lee Tech support when I questioned if the "U" die would improve the performance over the FCD as shown in the video.

"An undersized sizing die does not allow you to push the empty case all the way through the sizing ring like in the Carbide Factory crimp die. It would just resize the case to a smaller diameter. This is actually harder on the case because it works the brass more - an analogy is bending a wire coat hanger back and forth until it breaks. Ideally the sizing die would only resize the case just enough to fit into the chamber and hold the bullet firmly. "

Lee Factory Tech support

From other discussions I understand the Lee FCD used in the pass through application is an excellent way to remove the Glock bulge without over stressing the case as with the "U" die.

I load .40 on a SDB for SV, STI, and Glock. I would say it depends on how tight your chamber is. Some are more forgiving and I don't have any issues when I chamber check my completed rounds. Two of my barrels are tight and I have 5% or so rejects. I run them through the crimp die a few times each and my rejects are reduced to 0.5% or so. Approximately.

I have been thinking about getting a single stage and the ".40 Gizmo", a die that you press the brass all the way through. It would be nice, but I have survived for a few years just loading with the SDB as is.

HTH,

splash

Does your SV or STI have a Schuemann barrel in it?

Sorry I didn't see your question a long time ago. I don't have the SV anymore, but it had a Schuemann TiN coated AET sight tracker barrel. It was the loosest of all my chambers and I didn't have to worry about gauging my ammo with that one.