Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY Gun Bluing?

JeffWard

I have an older, cheap, double-barreled 12 gauge that I plan on chopping into a "coach gun", just for fun, and a simple home-protection piece.

To chop the barrel, I'll need to re-blue the end.

Has anybody done this?

Tips?

Lessons learned?

Thanks!

Jeff

The best way to do this is to hacksaw it off about 1/8 inch longer than you want to end up, then mill the end square with an end mill.

Don't try to end mill the whole thing off, as this can cause the barrels and ribs to separate and get bent up. If you don't have access

to a mill, you can carefully cut it close with a hacksaw and file the end square, using a square to check your progress with the file.

You will need to fill the gap between the barrels with something. You can use epoxy based fillers like JB Weld or lead solder.

The cold blues I've had the best luck with are Brownell's Oxpho Blue and 44-40 Blue. Best of Luck.

Blueing is a tricky and toxic art (not to mention very costly to start up). If you must reblue, I agree - contract it out.

A much easier and more reliable alternative is Black, manganese oxide parkerizing (NOT zinc - which is grey).

I think he is just rebluing the cut off ends. A Q-Tip and some cold blue will do fine for that.

I'm just touching up the ends on a sawed-off shotgun.... LOL

JB-Weld in the gap, q-tip cold-blue on the end, and tapping a new bead for the end... maybe a red-dot... kidding.

Jeff

For small touch up jobs I have had good success with Birchwood Casey Perma Blue Paste.

Clean ALL oil off surfaces rub in with a clean nylon toothbrush until you get an even color.

Was told the toothbrush trick by an old timer, said cloth, Q-tips, and alot of other things you would apply with have some natural oil in them that hampers the bluing action of the chemicals.

Don't know for sure but the guy never lied to me before :).

So I grind err in with the brush and get better result than the other ways I tried. As always YMMV.