Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Style Of 3gun Match

Matt, I just shot my first LRR ,Carbine, Pistol match last month with my partner John Dunn. We shot the ITRC at D&L Sports in Gillette, WY. Absolutely, I plan to do it again! These are 3 guns that really make big fun together. I'm not saying that I don't like shotgun events, just that Long Range Rifle as the third gun is very cool .

One thing that made this match extremely fun for me was we got hump our gear through a lot of great territory. Personally, if I were going to conduct a match like this, I would set it up in hills and trees and give the carbine shooters alot of uphill downhill challenges in the 250 to 450 yard range. Long range rifle targets from 400 to 800 might be good. Say you held the match someplace like the Whittingdon Center and got permission to map out a few 3 mile courses through the hills with good safe backstops. Put the R/Os on fourwheelers, the shooters on shoe leather and away we go! Heck, make us ford a couple of creeks or row a canoe across a lake. (Unload and show clear, you now have the option to rappell down the rock face or take the long way around. ) Granted, I may be getting a little extreme (or not), but having something to look forward to besides loitering around the range waiting for my turn to shoot holds a lot of appeal for me. DO IT MATT!!

No Ghillies or stalks will be done in the match. Takes too long, too subjective and too much liability from heat stroke.

Sam, yeah your nutz! :blink: I wouldn't want to shoot the match you want to hold! :unsure:

Now, put the shooters on four wheelers and make them find targets and that would be fun!

I think it will be a pretty cool match as it is different than the standard matches and required development of some other skills.

Holy Crap Sam!!

I've been dreaming of a match just like that. Maybe 3-7 miles long or so. Your feet will get wet. Your precious gun will get dirty and might even get banged up. :o There might be some rock scrambling. And at the end, you will be exhausted. In between you shoot 5-10 shots at 3-5 stations. Kind of trail running meets practical rifle meets biathalon kind of a deal.

And if it involves canoeing, I'm there. My dog'll spot for me. :P

Holy Crap Sam!!

I've been dreaming of a match just like that. Maybe 3-7 miles long or so. Your feet will get wet. Your precious gun will get dirty and might even get banged up. :o There might be some rock scrambling. And at the end, you will be exhausted. In between you shoot 5-10 shots at 3-5 stations. Kind of trail running meets practical rifle meets biathalon kind of a deal.

If you guys really want to do stuff like that, I'm sure the local recruiters for the USArmy USMC would really like to talk to you. I understand they're are still a few opportunities available. :rolleyes::lol:

Sam, yeah your nutz!
Matt, thanks for the confirmation! :wacko: When you live at the end of a 3/4 mile dirt road in Wyoming, it's real easy to start believing friends who say you're normal. (Of course, they're probably in the witness protection program or something, so to them I am normal .) I like the idea of Texas in February! I like Texas' family style barbeque. I like shooting a different gun each day. I'm thinking I could possibly squander my meager match budget in Texas next spring.

Eric, right now as close as we're going to get to this kind of "match Nirvana" is the ITRC. Get a partner. Then come to Wyoming next August and shoot this thang. The only way to get "wet feet" is by sweating, but that'll happen pretty quick. Your gun will get dirty, and possibly banged up. You'll shoot 5 to 10 shots at 8 to 10 stations, strung over 3 or 4 miles. Running is allowed. There is a fair amount of uphill scrambling. I was exhausted! :lol:

Rhino, I'll bet I'm old enough to be that recruiter's pappy. :lol: He'd probably ask me if I fought for the South. (and I would have) ;)