Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Technique or Mechanical Malfuntion?

steveyacht

I shot my very first Steel Challenge match yesterday and, overall did what I about expected to to, with one exeption. I was consistantly having a failure to extract, strangely enough on between the 4th and 5th shot. (Using a Para P14 with minimum PF to make Major). This malfunction did not matter what magazine I was using, as I number them as per suggestions on this forum (ain't it great?!?!!)

The RO for our squad said that I had too much lube on the gun causing the extractor not to be able to, "get a grip on the fired casing". Even after a fast disassembly and cleaning, I was still having the same problem. One of the more experienced and sage shooters on the squad suggested that I may be weak wristing wchich make more sense to me. I did have a hand injury about three months ago that still caused pain in the heel of my right palm. I am wondering if I may be subconciously be reacting to this discomfort.

Based on what I have mentioned above what would you diagnose the problem as and what would you suggest to cure this in the future? I have a bicycle glove with a gel padding in the palm, I wonder if that may help.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Steve

I bet your chamber is getting crap in it from the case not sealing up like with normal IPSC load . Run a bore snake in it = remove the barrel first and see if the loaded round drop in good before you clean it. I like 38 super comp because I can drop the round in back-wards to see if my cases have expanded at the base, as a secondary check.

<_< Too much lube kept the extractor from grabbing the case :unsure: O Really Can I save that one for when my BS starts to run low? :wacko:

I bet your chamber is getting crap in it from the case not sealing up like with normal IPSC load . Run a bore snake in it = remove the barrel first and see if the loaded round drop in good before you clean it. I like 38 super comp because I can drop the round in back-wards to see if my cases have expanded at the base, as a secondary check.

<_< Too much lube kept the extractor from grabbing the case :unsure: O Really Can I save that one for when my BS starts to run low? :wacko:

Thanks, I'll try that this evening. And yea, too much lube struck me as a bit odd, because to para phrase Jerry Miculek: if it ain't dripping it ain't got enough lube on it.

:cheers:

Yep. Lose the glove and make sure you are solidly behind the gun - driving it to the target.

Sounds like a grip issue to me as well. Have somebody watch you closely or get a video of your grip. I'd first look for non-trigger finger movement between shots which will progressively make your grip worse. Also look for signs of you clampnig down and slowing the slide with a finger/thumb dragging on it.

It's been a long time since I shot my Para, but I do remember that loading rounds long caused them to stack in the mag. I seem to remember it was at about 7 rounds that the problem showed. Just throwing that out there...

Edited by JerryC