Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching bolts or BCGs between ARs

BayouSlide

I seem to remember some conflicting info from what I've read in the past regarding new parts versus used parts versus the need to check with go/no gauges, etc.

I'm wondering if I could safely switch parts from one rifle to another, if need be, in case of breakage during a match. Yeh, I know, just use the other rifle, but each are set up with different optics/barrels/etc. for different types of matches :devil:

Help a brother out with the straight scoop on this issue...you guys I trust :bow:

Curtis

I have done it with no ill effects but, i have a set of go / no go gauges and have checked to make sure everything was OK.

There will be minor differences but 3gun, I have seen no issues on accuracy.

The ideal set up if you are trying to save $ or just just cant get parts is to have a bolt dedicated to the upper and switch the carrier. I can see this especially fi you have a JP LMOS or one of the Ti carriers and the budget will not allow for 2 or 3 of them.

The bolt is the real key.

Thanks, warpspeed.

Or, I guess a separate/related question would be the benefit of having at least a spare bolt that was GTG after checking it in both rifles, since the carrier is more interchangeable without issues.

I'm starting to think along these lines as I have a Bushmaster carbine that is getting up near 5K rounds, nearly all XM-193, on it's original bolt.

Curtis

AR bolts have been closely held to dimensional specifications. Unless your barrel was chambered by a benchrest gunsmith, swapping bolts during a match will get you through the match. The correct method is to check each bolt with headspace gages for your barrel.

The go / no-go gauges are very small, as you would imagine. I'd be happy to loan them to you to check if you need.

Thanks, warpspeed. That's really nice of you. I just may take you up on your offer. At this point, I'm thinking about just buying a complete spare BCG and checking the spare bolt for clearance in both my rifles.

Curtis

The go / no-go gauges are very small, as you would imagine. I'd be happy to loan them to you to check if you need.

Thanks, warpspeed. That's really nice of you. I just may take you up on your offer. At this point, I'm thinking about just buying a complete spare BCG and checking the spare bolt for clearance in both my rifles.

Curtis

No problem. They sit in a drawer most of the time. PM me when you need them.